Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi do you remember what you got for your sats??
    apparently gcse predictions are based off sats results
    i got a 6 in maths and 5s in english and science
    does this mean i will be predicted good or bad grades lol

thanks lads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElonMuskFan123)
    Hi do you remember what you got for your sats??
    apparently gcse predictions are based off sats results
    i got a 6 in maths and 5s in english and science
    does this mean i will be predicted good or bad grades lol

thanks lads
    No, they are used to set target grades which are used to measure the progress you have made. These scores are totalled for everyone in your school and contribute to the Progress 8 measure.

Predictions are based on how well you are doing and test scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    No, they are used to set target grades which are used to measure the progress you have made. These scores are totalled for everyone in your school and contribute to the Progress 8 measure.

Predictions are based on how well you are doing and test scores.
    arent target grades and predictions the same thing though like target for end of KS4 and prediction for results. isnt that the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElonMuskFan123)
    arent target grades and predictions the same thing though like target for end of KS4 and prediction for results. isnt that the same thing?
    No - they shouldn't be - the target is set for 'good progress' but many students do better than this.

In the old levels, a level 5 had to get a B for 'expected progress' and higher than that was 'above expected progress' [Ofsted speak]. Most level 5 students predictions might be A or A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    No - they shouldn't be - the target is set for 'good progress' but many students do better than this.

In the old levels, a level 5 had to get a B for 'expected progress' and higher than that was 'above expected progress' [Ofsted speak]. Most level 5 students predictions might be A or A*.
    okay

ReputationRep:
    i think sats are to determine which set you should be in idk for sure though didnt even do them
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No they aren't, Sats are pointless and mean nothing by the time you start GCSE's, and they have no impact further in life. Just like they won't use GCSE's to predict A Levels because people can always progress over the years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexty28)
    No they aren't, Sats are pointless and mean nothing by the time you start GCSE's, and they have no impact further in life. Just like they won't use GCSE's to predict A Levels because people can always progress over the years.
    Life isn't that simple. State schools are measured on students' progress from SATs to GCSEs and from GCSEs to A levels and failure to do well enough will put the school into special measures and will result in the resignation of the head. Hence prior results are hugely important to schools and a lot of the intervention that takes place is based on the (lack of) progress from them. No one will ever ask for your SATs results after you leave school but it would be naive to believe they do not affect how you are treated at school and so your final results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Life isn't that simple. State schools are measured on students' progress from SATs to GCSEs and from GCSEs to A levels and failure to do well enough will put the school into special measures and will result in the resignation of the head. Hence prior results are hugely important to schools and a lot of the intervention that takes place is based on the (lack of) progress from them. No one will ever ask for your SATs results after you leave school but it would be naive to believe they do not affect how you are treated at school and so your final results.
    Well it didn't work like that for me at all and I went to state school, all my GCSE predicted grades were actually based on the standard of my class work, mocks and an aptitude test we did at the beginning of year 10. Doing A Levels now and then of the predicted grades are based of GCSE, as my A Level predicted grades are higher than my GCSE's Obviously depends on were you go I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexty28)
    Well it didn't work like that for me at all and I went to state school, all my GCSE predicted grades were actually based on the standard of my class work, mocks and an aptitude test we did at the beginning of year 10. Doing A Levels now and then of the predicted grades are based of GCSE, as my A Level predicted grades are higher than my GCSE's Obviously depends on were you go I guess.
    Predicted grades are not the same thing as target grades.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.