Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can the community team, community assistants, support team and section leaders see who is posting anonymous? If I make a post or thread with anonymous can they see it's me?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    lmaooo i hope not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAreAYute)
    lmaooo i hope not
    lmao
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sarz33)
    Hi, can the community team, community assistants, support team and section leaders see who is posting anonymous? If I make a post or thread with anonymous can they see it's me?

Thanks.
    Community Assisstants definitely can't and if the anonymous system is implemented properly, neither should anyone else. Whether it is or not, I can't say but I highly doubt it's a truly anonymous system.

Of course don't think that means you have total anonymity purely by using the anonymous function. Odds are you can be identified if someone wnated to put the effort in. Odds are it's also not worth the time and resources. But no, in terms of your question anonymous looks to us just like it looks to regular users. We can't see details.

ReputationRep:
    various laws require TSR to track the IP address and username of every anon post.

So the govt can track you, as can any hacker who broke into TSRs system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    various laws require TSR to track the IP address and username of every anon post.

damn theresa may be going after those trolls then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAreAYute)
    damn theresa may be going after those trolls then?
    well not her personally.

We have separation of police and politicians in this country.

Would only be brought to her attention if it was major investigation of national importance

ReputationRep:
    well not her personally.

We have separation of police and politicians in this country.

Would only be brought to her attention if it was major investigation of national importance
    i wouldve thought anon posts about d*ck size are of national importance
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Support Team members in the forum you post in will be able to see your real identity. I think all Community Team member can see your anon postings too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

That's not really how it works and the laws related to data protection are a fair bit more complicated than that. Care to share which exact law requires TSR to track IP addresses and usernames?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That's not really how it works and the laws related to data protection are a fair bit more complicated than that. Care to share which exact law requires TSR to track IP addresses and usernames?
    data protection isnt relevant in this context. No personal details are provided to TSR.

No sorry I dont have 5 minutes to find the relevant law and much of the enforcing regulations are classified
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sarz33)

Thanks.
    The CT can, yes. They have to be able to for safety reasons. Certain other people also can, for example the peer support team (eg Deyesy) that go through all the posts about suicide and self harm. But not ordinarily or in every forum, no
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    1) ST who deal with specific forums can, so for example, ST who deal with Mental Health will be able to. If an ST member is in charge of another section like Study Help, then they won't be able to see anonymous users in Mental Health or Relationships etc.
    2) Any ST member who is a Peer Support Volunteer (PSV) can also see them.
    3) SLs/CT can see anonymous users across the entire site.

Why? Owing to the need to ensure the constant safeguarding of the users. From this angle, it's important to know who is behind anonymous posts, as they're often the ones in which people will use to seek help, whether it's for mental health or other personal issues. Should it be of a particularly serious nature, for example in instances of potential self harm or deteriorating mental health, having knowledge about who is posting can really be of use to the us in getting adequate support to the member (for instance, if the PSV team is aware that it's a user they've dealt with before, then they'll have prior experience as to what is best to go about it once more).

Finally, on a less safeguarding front, it also helps us deal with people who use the anonymous system to break rules.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    data protection isnt relevant in this context. No personal details are provided to TSR.

No sorry I dont have 5 minutes to find the relevant law and much of the enforcing regulations are classified
    None of that makes any sense. Laws are not classified information. You can't make a law, withold information on it and then claim someone has broken a law. So there's no issue of classified information here, it would be publically available if it were law. And if you have time to reply, surely you have time to write the name of this law?

Maybe you are confusing this with the Investigatory Powers Act, also known as the Snoopers Charter, which required ISPs to store logs. But there is no law that forces every website to keep logs of IP addresses. It's incredibly useful and I wouldn't be at all surprised if TSR chose to do so. But it's not law that they do so.

As for Data Protection, the IP address by itself is not considered personal information. However there have been instances where it can be considered personal. But IP addresses linked with users, who may have entered personal information as part of their profile may be considered an issue of Data Protection. But I only mentioned Data Protection as that's the most common thing people think about when they make mistakes with these sorts of things.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.