Turn on thread page Beta

Withdrawing from course and starting new one watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Due to multiple deaths in the family, illness in the family and my own current state of mind I am considering deferring my year or withdrawing from my current course. I was just wondering how this would affect my student finance? I have previously deferred a year on medical grounds after missing my exams through being in hospital so I was wondering whether I'd still be eligible for funding if I deferred another year? I'm also considering changing course and either doing this with my university or through the open university but i'm unsure how/whether I'd be able to gain funding for this? I'm currently a second year student in my course but its my third year at the university.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by emma.shiels)
    Due to multiple deaths in the family, illness in the family and my own current state of mind I am considering deferring my year or withdrawing from my current course. I was just wondering how this would affect my student finance? I have previously deferred a year on medical grounds after missing my exams through being in hospital so I was wondering whether I'd still be eligible for funding if I deferred another year? I'm also considering changing course and either doing this with my university or through the open university but i'm unsure how/whether I'd be able to gain funding for this? I'm currently a second year student in my course but its my third year at the university.
    Hi emma,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study. Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would received a MT Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants only.

Student Finance may consider your extenuating circumstances when making this calculation, also known as their Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) in order to award additional years of funding.

The student needs to send a letter to their Award Authority (SFE) detailing their CPR along with any evidence of their mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence;
    • Is signed and dated
    • Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies and
    • When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include;
    • Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
    • Letter from HEP on headed paper
    • Letter from Social Services on headed paper
    • Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
    • Death Certificate

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support your claim should be sent to us for consideration. In some circumstances one piece of evidence may not be sufficient, therefore we would recommend that the you send as much evidence in as possible.

Thanks

Louise

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.