Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got 171/240 and somebody said that was a grade 6. But when I look on the AQA, the Reformed June 2017 Grades say that above 157 is a Grade 8. I'm confused!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lockwood&Co_)
    I got 171/240 and somebody said that was a grade 6. But when I look on the AQA, the Reformed June 2017 Grades say that above 157 is a Grade 8. I'm confused!?
    It would be an 8 according to last year's AQA 9-1 Maths boundaries, but you probably got a lower grade because your school are using higher boundaries. This is because next year the boundaries are likely to increase if candidates do better this year. Last year there were no past papers so students couldn't have as much practice.

I am doing Edexcel Maths 2018. Last year you needed 190/240 (I think) for a grade 9, but my school use using 200/240 for the grade 9 boundaries.

Here's last year's AQA maths boundaries:
    EDIT: I accidentally cut out the grade numbers, sorry, but 189 is grade 9 and so on.
    Name:  aqa maths boundaries.PNG
Views: 20
Size:  10.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loci Pi)
    It would be an 8 according to last year's AQA 9-1 Maths boundaries, but you probably got a lower grade because your school are using higher boundaries. This is because next year the boundaries are likely to increase if candidates do better this year. Last year there were no past papers so students couldn't have as much practice.

I am doing Edexcel Maths 2018. Last year you needed 190/240 (I think) for a grade 9, but my school use using 200/240 for the grade 9 boundaries.

Here's last year's AQA maths boundaries:
    EDIT: I accidentally cut out the grade numbers, sorry, but 189 is grade 9 and so on.
    Name:  aqa maths boundaries.PNG
Views: 20
Size:  10.2 KB
    Oh Okay. That makes sense. So I should be upping my game because the grade boundaries are more fixated and tougher now?
    Thank You
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some schools have higher boundaries. Last year, my school predicted 225/240 for a 9 but it was actually 189. Probably a similar case in your school. School boundaries will rise this year - last year's cohort began learning the new spec in year 10/11 ish but since you guys started in year 9 and teachers are more familiar with it, national performance will increase leading me to think it may be around 205-ish for a 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Some schools have higher boundaries. Last year, my school predicted 225/240 for a 9 but it was actually 189. Probably a similar case in your school. School boundaries will rise this year - last year's cohort began learning the new spec in year 10/11 ish but since you guys started in year 9 and teachers are more familiar with it, national performance will increase leading me to think it may be around 205-ish for a 9.
    Oh! Okay. So you have to be achieving above 65 in all 3 of your papers or something similar to that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh! Okay. So you have to be achieving above 65 in all 3 of your papers or something similar to that?
    For my school or last year's boundary or this predicted? I think 67-70 will be a 9 this year.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Okay. That makes sense. So I should be upping my game because the grade boundaries are more fixated and tougher now?
    Thank You
    I would say, aim to get about 10 - 15 marks above last years grade boundary. I can't see the grade 9 boundary being higher than about 205 and the grade 8 boundary being higher than around 170. The boundaries will change by quite a lot over time (lets say over around 10 years), however they are not going to drastically change over 1 year. If the paper is really hard this year and people don't do as well the boundaries might not increase though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loci Pi)
    I would say, aim to get about 10 - 15 marks above last years grade boundary. I can't see the grade 9 boundary being higher than about 205 and the grade 8 boundary being higher than around 170. The boundaries will change by quite a lot over time (lets say over around 10 years), however they are not going to drastically change over 1 year. If the paper is really hard this year and people don't do as well the boundaries might not increase though.
    Okay. Thank You
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    That's assuming the papers are similar in difficulty to last year. It's all still a but of an unknown but if I was to guess I'd agree with you and say that boundaries will rise.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Thank You
    No problem
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Notnek)
    That's assuming the papers are similar in difficulty to last year. It's all still a but of an unknown but if I was to guess I'd agree with you and say that boundaries will rise.
    Oh yeah, I didn't take that into consideration but it'll be interesting to see what the last questions on the paper are this year.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.