Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a first year software engineering student and the first year is basically the same as those doing computer science but I'm really struggling with the computer science technical side of things ie circuits etc. I literally understand NOTHING in that strand and passed the first term out of sheer luck!

Its making me hate my course and worry about failing because of something that has zero to do with the job I want when I leave!

I've tried speaking to the lecturer (who is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard) and he just basically said he cant understand how I can be good at programming and not understand this!

Not sure what to do!

ReputationRep:
    What job do you want to do when you leave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faeth29)
    So I'm a first year software engineering student and the first year is basically the same as those doing computer science but I'm really struggling with the computer science technical side of things ie circuits etc. I literally understand NOTHING in that strand and passed the first term out of sheer luck!

Its making me hate my course and worry about failing because of something that has zero to do with the job I want when I leave!

I've tried speaking to the lecturer (who is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard) and he just basically said he cant understand how I can be good at programming and not understand this!

Not sure what to do!
    Programming is not similar to learning hardware/software and cables, which is the technical know-how. I've done both. The techie side is more pure memorisation of the technical specs of the bits of the computer network along with some calculation. Programming is much more fun where you get to work things out rather than just cramming stuff.

Maybe you might want to switch to a IT/CS course that allows you to do more programming and less of the techie stuff. The risk of doing this may mean you end up doing more programming but maybe more maths (which most students hate).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.