Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am a 15 year old girl doing my silver DofE in May, I know most of it however I don't really know how to go to the toilet?
    You can fill out a short survey here :
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ulErw/viewform
    If you don't want to say it in public.
    Just a bit of background info: we are staying in a farmers field so there are no toilets only a tap, also I have IBS so if I need to poo I need to go very soon
    Thanks, if you have any other tips also say them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amber2002smith)
    Hello I am a 15 year old girl doing my silver DofE in May, I know most of it however I don't really know how to go to the toilet?
    You can fill out a short survey here :
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ulErw/viewform
    If you don't want to say it in public.
    Just a bit of background info: we are staying in a farmers field so there are no toilets only a tap, also I have IBS so if I need to poo I need to go very soon
    You can also private message me if you want

ReputationRep:
    Done your survey if there is anything else you need to know just message me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeshack)
    Done your survey if there is anything else you need to know just message me
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to those that have done it

ReputationRep:
    I have IBS so if I need to poo I need to go very soon

Can you not get tablets from your doctors to calm thus down

ReputationRep:
    Can you not get tablets from your doctors to calm thus down
    I have had tablets before but they don't really work, it just suddenly comes over me and I need to go right then

ReputationRep:
    Please can you give as much deatail in the peeing and pooing bit as I have never done it before and I don't want to be walking around with wet shoes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else
    Have many filled out your survey it only took me a few minutes

ReputationRep:
    Have many filled out your survey it only took me a few minutes
    I've had about 6 but would like more in a bit more deatails as some are literally 'just go and pee' so hardly any help

ReputationRep:
    Could people please help her

ReputationRep:
    Could people please help her
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For your silver D of E there is no requirement to stay on a site without toilet facilities. I have been a D of E instructor and assessor and all groups I have worked with have stayed on sites with facilities. Your expedition group should have some choice about where to stay too, although if there are several groups from the same centre out at the same time you may need to agree on the site between you.

The only time I can imagine a group just using a field is if they are army / air cadets and this 'sleeping rough' is also part of their training. In that case there should still be a toilet provided with suitable privacy. I went on an expedition with World Challenge once where we wild camped, and the group carried a shovel and cloth screen. When we arrived at the site a hole was dug and the screen put up using walking poles and guy lines. Each time the 'toilet' was used a little soil was sprinkled on top, and in the morning it was filled.

Basically, whoever is overseeing your expedition should already have plans in place. From a privacy and safeguarding point of view a toilet needs to be provided at the site, even if it is just a hole with a screen around it. The landowner will not be happy if they visit the site afterwards and find little piles of poo in random places. While you are walking things are less easy. Keep loo paper handy, and be ready to find a rock or hedge to shelter behind. Hopefully the rest of your group are supportive and will keep lookout.

ReputationRep:
    We have decided to stay at a campsite with no facilities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit teacher)
    For your silver D of E there is no requirement to stay on a site without toilet facilities. I have been a D of E instructor and assessor and all groups I have worked with have stayed on sites with facilities. Your expedition group should have some choice about where to stay too, although if there are several groups from the same centre out at the same time you may need to agree on the site between you.

The only time I can imagine a group just using a field is if they are army / air cadets and this 'sleeping rough' is also part of their training. In that case there should still be a toilet provided with suitable privacy. I went on an expedition with World Challenge once where we wild camped, and the group carried a shovel and cloth screen. When we arrived at the site a hole was dug and the screen put up using walking poles and guy lines. Each time the 'toilet' was used a little soil was sprinkled on top, and in the morning it was filled.

Basically, whoever is overseeing your expedition should already have plans in place. From a privacy and safeguarding point of view a toilet needs to be provided at the site, even if it is just a hole with a screen around it. The landowner will not be happy if they visit the site afterwards and find little piles of poo in random places. While you are walking things are less easy. Keep loo paper handy, and be ready to find a rock or hedge to shelter behind. Hopefully the rest of your group are supportive and will keep lookout.
    It depends on your school/organisation you do it through. I have never stayed at a campsite with a toilet(and I've done all 3 levels), you just deal with it. We just designate a place for the bathroom and go. There are no requirements for plans concerning the toilet, it's a natural thing that happens. You just have to dig a hole and bury your stuff.

Also I've filled in your form Good luck for the expedition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureCeleste)
    It depends on your school/organisation you do it through. I have never stayed at a campsite with a toilet(and I've done all 3 levels), you just deal with it. We just designate a place for the bathroom and go. There are no requirements for plans concerning the toilet, it's a natural thing that happens. You just have to dig a hole and bury your stuff.

Also I've filled in your form Good luck for the expedition!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can others please fill out the survey

ReputationRep:
    Can others please fill out the survey
    Hi, I’ve just completed it so I hope it helps you! Just wanted to add that you shoudnt be afraid to tell your D of E supervisor about the IBS situation as I’m sure they’ll be understanding and they might have some suggestions. Also confide in your team because you’ll be spending a week with them and I’m sure they’ll have similar worries! They’ll be so glad that you brought it up and you will all be much more relaxed about looking out for one another etc when you’re actually in the wilderness. Don’t let it be taboo; we all do it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Hi, I’ve just completed it so I hope it helps you! Just wanted to add that you shoudnt be afraid to tell your D of E supervisor about the IBS situation as I’m sure they’ll be understanding and they might have some suggestions. Also confide in your team because you’ll be spending a week with them and I’m sure they’ll have similar worries! They’ll be so glad that you brought it up and you will all be much more relaxed about looking out for one another etc when you’re actually in the wilderness. Don’t let it be taboo; we all do it!
    Thanks

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.