ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 17
Size:  48.2 KB

part b

ReputationRep:
    I assume you've done part (a)?
    If so, you should be able to relate (b) to (a) - if not, reread the question, and think about the similarities and differences between the candle and the solid generated in part (a). You should see a relationship between the 2 solids
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JSG29)
    If so, you should be able to relate (b) to (a) - if not, reread the question, and think about the similarities and differences between the candle and the solid generated in part (a). You should see a relationship between the 2 solids
    yeah I have done A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qer)
    yeah I have done A
    Can you see the relationship I mentioned?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JSG29)
    I think part a and b is exactly the same thing except they gave AB =15 and in part A they gave -1 and 2/3
    so what i have done so far is that i used the expression that I got in part a but replace it limits with 0 and 15 but I get the wrong answer
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm thinking volume scale factor = linear scale factor cubed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The original length would be 1+2/3 = 5/3. The new is 15. The linear scale factor = 9 so the volume will be 729x bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qer)
    I think part a and b is exactly the same thing except they gave AB =15 and in part A they gave -1 and 2/3
    so what i have done so far is that i used the expression that I got in part a but replace it limits with 0 and 15 but I get the wrong answer
    Changing the limits will give you a different shape. You have the right idea in terms of the relationship between the 2 shapes, but you need to use a scale factor instead of changing the limits (remember volume scale factor != linear scale factor)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Qer)
    The height of the generator solid is \frac{5}{3} units, let's say these units are cm, then to go from this height to 15cm you need to multiply by 9. Hence 9 is your linear scale factor, use it for the candle volume.

ReputationRep:
    What paper is this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Titanium_Man)
    What paper is this?
    jan2016 ial
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for everyone:h

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.