Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried about being able to afford university, and it's really stressing me out, I've looked up a load of previous forums and not find them useful as they say apply for scholarships or get a job which I'm not applicable for scholarships and I will get a job.

First of all my parents own a lot so I'm entitled to the minimum maintenance loan of approx £3000. However my parents will not provide me with any financial support whatsoever, that is just not an option. I do plan on getting a job and working around 3 days a week and saving up beforehand (up to £1000) but I've done calculations and I still cannot afford it, even scrimping. Or even I make every cut possible, I may be able to afford the first year with the addition of my savings but what about the year after? If worse comes to worse I'll obviously work more but to be honest I want to enjoy uni life and also focus on my studies more.

What else is available? My parents own too much for me to get a scholarship or special grant and I don't have the grades either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katxlaurax)
    I'm really worried about being able to afford university, and it's really stressing me out, I've looked up a load of previous forums and not find them useful as they say apply for scholarships or get a job which I'm not applicable for scholarships and I will get a job.

First of all my parents own a lot so I'm entitled to the minimum maintenance loan of approx £3000. However my parents will not provide me with any financial support whatsoever, that is just not an option. I do plan on getting a job and working around 3 days a week and saving up beforehand (up to £1000) but I've done calculations and I still cannot afford it, even scrimping. Or even I make every cut possible, I may be able to afford the first year with the addition of my savings but what about the year after? If worse comes to worse I'll obviously work more but to be honest I want to enjoy uni life and also focus on my studies more.

What else is available? My parents own too much for me to get a scholarship or special grant and I don't have the grades either.
    During the summer, do a full time job as soon as your last exam finish to save more than £1k, as well as trying to persuade your parents to give you even a little bit of money . Some who are in the same situation tend to do a part time job whilst at uni, or generally during holidays such as Christmas (I worked as a Christmas temp throughout December and earned around £1k, though it was tedious).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.