Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing A2 Maths and it's my hardest subject. Compared to my other subjects I dread the thought of doing past papers and doing questions like ugh i wish I liked it more.

    At AS i got a D and i'm retaking all three modules again this summer.

    So can i learn to like maths more? and if so, how do i do this??
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am in the exact same boat,got D at AS, and retaking all modules.

    Tbh only papers will help, if not do every question from textbooks, that’s good for practice.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    It may not help directly with the exams, but I think it may be worth branching out to look at some of the cooler aspects of maths. They may inpire you!

    I particularly recomment to YouTube channels Numberphile, Standup Maths, and 3blue1brown.

    Also, if you want to read a rant, look up "Lockhart's Lament"! It's an essay on everything schools do wrong when they teach maths, and it may help you understand why you feel this way.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piamiahh)
    glad i'm not alone! what's your game plan to do well for maths?
    Do every textbook question, and pray 😂😂 but on a serious note, do every question and make sure my resits are amazing I mess up the A2’s
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawAnon)
    Do every textbook question, and pray 😂😂 but on a serious note, do every question and make sure my resits are amazing I mess up the A2’s
    how are you finding your A2 modules?
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piamiahh)
    how are you finding your A2 modules?
    C3 and C4 I’m currently okay with, hard on some aspects but managing, but I’m doing M2 and I don’t think I even know what’s happening 😂😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawAnon)
    C3 and C4 I’m currently okay with, hard on some aspects but managing, but I’m doing M2 and I don’t think I even know what’s happening 😂😂
    I can definitely relate.

    My teacher for M1 last year was absolutely useless. I was struggling with M2 at the beginning but luckily caught up with M1 stuff because my new teacher is amazing.

    At least there's the 'easy' topic of integration for speed, acceleration and distance.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FryOfTheMann)
    I can definitely relate.

    My teacher for M1 last year was absolutely useless. I was struggling with M2 at the beginning but luckily caught up with M1 stuff because my new teacher is amazing.

    At least there's the 'easy' topic of integration for speed, acceleration and distance.
    See that’s what I thought, but all the topics are easy in concept,but the goddamn exam questions are a joke, I finished M2 but can’t finish a past paper so just need to pray now lol, and my teacher is worst than useless.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawAnon)
    See that’s what I thought, but all the topics are easy in concept,but the goddamn exam questions are a joke, I finished M2 but can’t finish a past paper so just need to pray now lol, and my teacher is worst than useless.
    I'm finding that the only questions that utterly trip me up are the hinge/'ladder-on-a-wall' questions. Cannot remember/understand how to do them for the life of me. I'm just hoping I'll be able to beat the knowledge into my head before the exam. At least the majority of content stems from M1 and centres of mass is quite nice.
    Online

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Think like this, for Maths there is LOADS of support out there, websites, YouTube, questions and obviously TSR whereas Geography which I am doing there is dip**** support.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Think like this, for Maths there is LOADS of support out there, websites, YouTube, questions and obviously TSR whereas Geography which I am doing there is dip**** support.
    Yea but I do physics which takes 99% of my time, maths takes the other 1% and my third subject has 0%
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    Online

    20
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawAnon)
    Yea but I do physics which takes 99% of my time, maths takes the other 1% and my third subject has 0%
    Physics is basically further further maths! That's honestly how I see physics even tho I don't do it
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Because you're... normal? Hint: you don't have to like math to be good at it.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Physics is basically further further maths! That's honestly how I see physics even tho I don't do it
    So Chemistry is further further further maths?
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    So Chemistry is further further further maths?
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Chemistry doesn't need much maths compared to physics.
    Offline

    8
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynam1cdave)
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Chemistry doesn't need much maths compared to physics.
    Forget the maths in physics, that’s the nicer part, the explanation etc is the harder part
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2018

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.