Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I live in Birmingham and plan on studying at Warwick in the coming academic year (2018/2019). I will be commuting from my home as I only live a 34 minute drive away from the campus. I want to get to the university by car because it's a lot more convenient for me and I have lots of commitments outside of university and cannot rely on public transport to take me to all the places I want to go to in the limited time I usually have.

However, a friend mentioned to me the other day that Warwick doesn't allow first years to park or drive to the university and that's a huge problem for me because I am really leaning towards putting Warwick as my firm. If this is uni policy, I will have to reconsider a lot of things and I'm just not looking forward to that lmao.

Hope somebody can help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himyar48)
    Hi! I live in Birmingham and plan on studying at Warwick in the coming academic year (2018/2019). I will be commuting from my home as I only live a 34 minute drive away from the campus. I want to get to the university by car because it's a lot more convenient for me and I have lots of commitments outside of university and cannot rely on public transport to take me to all the places I want to go to in the limited time I usually have.

However, a friend mentioned to me the other day that Warwick doesn't allow first years to park or drive to the university and that's a huge problem for me because I am really leaning towards putting Warwick as my firm. If this is uni policy, I will have to reconsider a lot of things and I'm just not looking forward to that lmao.

Hope somebody can help!
    It is entirely possible to drive in each day. It's more that there's no free parking. There are several car parks on campus, but parking can get expensive. There are passes you can buy, and there's supposedly a carpooling scheme to give you a discount (although no one ever seemed able to find out anything about it).

Most second years live out in Leamington or Coventry (or the little towns nearby such as Kenilworth or Earlsdon), and the buses are so horrendously bad that many people drive in. This means that there are a lot of cars around on campus and it's no joke when I say that you're sometimes driving around for over an hour in the morning trying to find somewhere to park and end up parking near the restaurant on the far edge of campus just to save your sanity. Needless to say, making a 9am lecture is quite an achievement when you're in second year, especially in term 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    It is entirely possible to drive in each day. It's more that there's no free parking. There are several car parks on campus, but parking can get expensive. There are passes you can buy, and there's supposedly a carpooling scheme to give you a discount (although no one ever seemed able to find out anything about it).

Most second years live out in Leamington or Coventry (or the little towns nearby such as Kenilworth or Earlsdon), and the buses are so horrendously bad that many people drive in. This means that there are a lot of cars around on campus and it's no joke when I say that you're sometimes driving around for over an hour in the morning trying to find somewhere to park and end up parking near the restaurant on the far edge of campus just to save your sanity. Needless to say, making a 9am lecture is quite an achievement when you're in second year, especially in term 1.
    Loool! Thanks for your reply! Do you know roughly how much the passes are? Also, are there many people from Birmingham that commute? I went to an offer holder day on Wednesday and everyone seemed to be from down south and so were looking at accommodation etc and I was basically the only one that wasn't looking at living on campus. Doesn't bother me much but was just really shocked to see the lack of Brummies considering how close we are and how prestigious the university is!

ReputationRep:

Hope somebody can help!
    It’s possible to use car parks around Warwick, even if there aren’t any available on campus. I think you should confirm with Warwick about parking though.

But don’t let car parking be your worry about putting it as a firm. 👍🏽

ReputationRep:
    Loool! Thanks for your reply! Do you know roughly how much the passes are? Also, are there many people from Birmingham that commute? I went to an offer holder day on Wednesday and everyone seemed to be from down south and so were looking at accommodation etc and I was basically the only one that wasn't looking at living on campus. Doesn't bother me much but was just really shocked to see the lack of Brummies considering how close we are and how prestigious the university is!
    'fraid that, looking into it, they've now made it harder and it looks as though they might've taken away the monthly pass. The website is only showing pay and display, unless you qualifying for one of the permits (or "student parking certificates") which it does't sound like you do.
    (https://warwick.ac.uk/services/carparks/permits/)

I knew maybe five or six people who commuted from Birmingham during my time (2012–2016). You're right, it is super close; however, that may be exactly why people choose to go further away from home for uni. It's also awkwardly situated kinda in the middle of nowhere, so those students who do want to stay at home might opt for Birmingham Uni, which has a pretty great campus in the city (or Aston/City/Coventry if they don't have the grades).

ReputationRep:
    Uni car park isn't free, and spaces are usually limited after 10am.

You can park at Canley shopping centre (tesco etc) for 3 hours (for free).

There are some side roads near charter avenue but the walk will be 15 mins to the main campus.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't encourage parking on nearby roads such as Charter Avenue as the residents are already bringing this up with local councillors, this will simply lead to permit parking.

The University is legally limited by Coventry Council as to the maximum number of spaces it can have, if anything it will be looking to encourage use of public transport for everyone. The expectation is that most students will live on campus, or Canley, Coventry, Leamington etc and use public transport.

If you are coming from Birmingham there are plenty of regular trains that call at Coventry with just the need to Catch the 12X bus, that or go to the smaller (not Virgin Trains) Canley Station and take advantage of the Warwick Shuttle bus that services it.

https://warwick.ac.uk/services/estat...ses/shuttlebus

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.