Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

19, uni in September, my parents are threatening to kick me out. WHAT DO I DO?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I'm 19 years old and I'm currently in my last year of college. I'm going to start uni in September.

I don't have a very good relationship with my dad. He's emotionally abusive towards my family and I and because of it I've been diagnosed with Depression and anxiety. He's recently threatened to kick me out and ive decided I no longer want to live at home anymore.

I live in the same town where my uni is but I don't think I'm going to be able to afford student accommodation there. I only make about £300 a month from my job and a maintenance loan won't cover very much.

I don't think there are any benefits available for students unless there are certain circumstances.

I urgently need advice. Please help

ReputationRep:
    Look into private renting. Accommodations can get ridiculously expensive.
    1 bed and studio flats tends to be made available to students by agencies at much cheaper prices. Majority will also have the basic contracts rather than just for the duration of the academic year.

ReputationRep:
    this isn’t the best advice but you can try contacting the housing services st your university to see what options there are, is there any relative that you could stay with until you get your housing situation sorted? whereabouts do you live? is the rent for rooms really expensive?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    definitely agree with the above with private renting! i guess it depends where you live but i think you can get rooms for around £400 -£500 so that £300 and some of your maintenance loan should cover the rent?

ReputationRep:
    The area I'm looking at is Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Housing here is pretty expensive, I'm going to try and speak to student services at Herts uni to see if there's anything they can do.
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    this isn’t the best advice but you can try contacting the housing services st your university to see what options there are, is there any relative that you could stay with until you get your housing situation sorted? whereabouts do you live? is the rent for rooms really expensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiettonal)
    The area I'm looking at is Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Housing here is pretty expensive, I'm going to try and speak to student services at Herts uni to see if there's anything they can do.
    ask your university if they have a group or any services where you can look for housemates or find a room, also check on zoopla for rooms too. I hope your situation gets sorted!

ReputationRep:
    Dude how the **** are you only making 300 pounds a month.. Literally look online for options such as stocks etc. I'm 17 n i can make 100 just off stocks a day. Sad to hear your story but keep your head up brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubhanAslam)
    Dude how the **** are you only making 300 pounds a month.. Literally look online for options such as stocks etc. I'm 17 n i can make 100 just off stocks a day. Sad to hear your story but keep your head up brother.
    So you've made a couple of grand on shares in the last month yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So you've made a couple of grand on shares in the last month yeah?
    its easy trust me you just gotta read the news

ReputationRep:
    Most uni's offer bursaries, funding and scholarships if you search for them x

ReputationRep:
    its easy trust me you just gotta read the news
    Yeah?

Like what trades have you made in the last month based on reading the news?

ReputationRep:
    I've stopped trading 2 months ago to start my own business so i've not been in the business for a while. I was trading forex b4 tho

ReputationRep:
    I've stopped trading 2 months ago to start my own business so i've not been in the business for a while. I was trading forex b4 tho
    Oh
    Which broker did you get your account from? Not found any that takes under 18s.

ReputationRep:
    I think students are entitled to a larger maintenance loan if they can prove they are estranged from their family (and thus their income wouldn’t affect them). If you’re living in an emotionally abusive household I would think the uni would have a duty to help you. They have hardship funds for people in financial difficulty, for example. Definitely go and talk to them and get some advice. And stay safe.

ReputationRep:
    Used trading212 under my father's name. I turned 100 into 1000 my friend turned 100 into 10,000 within a year (low capital remember).

ReputationRep:
    Used trading212 under my father's name. I turned 100 into 1000 my friend turned 100 into 10,000 within a year (low capital remember).
    And how does this help the OP?

ReputationRep:
    OP?

ReputationRep:
    OP?
    Original Poster. Thread Starter.

Seems like they have it pretty bad and could use some supportive advice.

ReputationRep:
    So, improving financially is not supportive at all? Okay.

ReputationRep:
    So, improving financially is not supportive at all? Okay.
    You said yourself that you were trading under your father’s name. Clearly not applicable to this situation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.