The Student Room Group

GCSE English

Right so I'm in year 11 and I've been in top set since year 7 but I've never passed English...ever. I don't understand what's wrong, I put a lot of effort into my work and never get the grades I believe I should. Any advice?
Original post by Ry4nT
Right so I'm in year 11 and I've been in top set since year 7 but I've never passed English...ever. I don't understand what's wrong, I put a lot of effort into my work and never get the grades I believe I should. Any advice?

Just use Mr Bruff videos, podcasts and e-books. You arent really precise enough if you want more specific information. Start with the general ones for English language and literature as appropriate.

http://mrbruff.com/
Talk to your teacher, ask for feedback on where you are going wrong or could make improvements
English Language is the main English you need to pass at grade 4 minimum.

For English literature you need to put in a plan in order to find areas of improvement. For novels and plays in particular it is a lot of reading and writing so get a revision time table.

For English literature:
Ask teacher for AO criteria sheet.
practice PEE (Point, Evidence using quotes, explain) paragraphs.
Practice PEEL (point , evidence, explain, link, paragraphs.

For English language all you can do is get the work books for the exam board you are taking and get past papers , doing them in a timed environment and hand them to your teacher to get them marked.

Quick Reply