Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At a given instant, the radii of two concentric circles are 8 cm and 12 cm. The radius of the outer circle is increasing at a rate of 1cm/s and the radius of the inner circle is increasing at a rate of 2cm/s. Find the rate of change of the area contained within the circles.

Not 100% sure where to start.
    At first I tried to find the rate of change of the areas of the circles individually and take one away from the other.
    But I realise now it's going to be more complicated than that as at a certain point the inner over takes the outer and then the area trapped between the circles will begin to increase.

Would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction

ReputationRep:
    So we have area = π*r^2
    So the area enclosed would be equal to π(a^2-b^2) <--- calling a the radius of the outer circle, b the inner.
    dA/dt = π(2a*(da/dt) - 2b*(db/dt))

Find the values for da/dt and db/dt when a = 12 and b = 8
    Spoiler:
    Show

da/dt(12) = 2*π*12 = 24π
    db/dt(8) = 2*π*8 = 16π

Now, the outer radius (a) increases at a rate of 1cm/s and inner radius (b) increases at a rate of 2cm/s.

dA/dt = π((24*1cm/s) - (16*2cm/s))
    dA/dt = π(24-32)
    = -8π cm^2 /s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FryOfTheMann)
    So we have area = π*r^2
    So the area enclosed would be equal to π(a^2-b^2) <--- calling a the radius of the outer circle, b the inner.
    dA/dt = π(2a*(da/dt) - 2b*(db/dt))

Find the values for da/dt and db/dt when a = 12 and b = 8
    Spoiler:
    Show

da/dt(12) = 2*π*12 = 24π
    db/dt(8) = 2*π*8 = 16π

Now, the outer radius (a) increases at a rate of 1cm/s and inner radius (b) increases at a rate of 2cm/s.

dA/dt = π((24*1cm/s) - (16*2cm/s))
    dA/dt = π(24-32)
    = -8π cm^2 /s

I'm following you to the 4th line. Why not just multiply the two terms by da/dt and db/dt if we know what they are?? We're told in the question that their rates of change are 1 and 2??

ReputationRep:
    At a given instant, the radii of two concentric circles are 8 cm and 12 cm. The radius of the outer circle is increasing at a rate of 1cm/s and the radius of the inner circle is increasing at a rate of 2cm/s. Find the rate of change of the area contained within the circles.

Not 100% sure where to start.
    At first I tried to find the rate of change of the areas of the circles individually and take one away from the other.
    But I realise now it's going to be more complicated than that as at a certain point the inner over takes the outer and then the area trapped between the circles will begin to increase.

Would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Retsek)
    I'm following you to the 4th line. Why not just multiply the two terms by da/dt and db/dt if we know what they are?? We're told in the question that their rates of change are 1 and 2??
    We know that at some point in time t=T we have two circles of radii a=8 and b=12. We also know that at this time \dfrac{da}{dt}=2 and \dfrac{db}{dt}=1.

The area between the two is given by A=\pi(b^2-a^2) which implies that \dfrac{dA}{dt}=\pi(2b \dfrac{db}{dt} - 2a \dfrac{da}{dt}). So at the instant t=T we simply need to substitute in the info we are given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    We know that at some point in time t=T we have two circles of radii a=8 and b=12. We also know that at this time \dfrac{da}{dt}=2 and \dfrac{db}{dt}=1.

The area between the two is given by A=\pi(b^2-a^2) which implies that \dfrac{dA}{dt}=\pi(2b \dfrac{db}{dt} - 2a \dfrac{da}{dt}). So at the instant t=T we simply need to substitute in the info we are given.
    Okay so the rates at which the radii are changing are only at that instant? I thought the 1 and 2 cm/s were constant?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Okay so the rates at which the radii are changing are only at that instant? I thought the 1 and 2 cm/s were constant?
    Yes, everything you're calculating is happening at a certain instant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Yes, everything you're calculating is happening at a certain instant.
    But the question says "At a given instant, the radii of two concentric circles are 8cm and 12cm." There's a full stop before it continues to say "The radius of the outer circle is increasing...." So the given instant is only applicable to the radii at the instant not the rate of change??

Also don't get how you say that we can find the rate of change as a function? We're told that at a given instant it equals 1 and 2,so surely that could be represented by any two functions that have values at 1 and 2??

Sorry if these are dumb questions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    But the question says "At a given instant, the radii of two concentric circles are 8cm and 12cm." There's a full stop before it continues to say "The radius of the outer circle is increasing...." So the given instant is only applicable to the radii at the instant not the rate of change??

Also don't get how you say that we can find the rate of change as a function? We're told that at a given instant it equals 1 and 2,so surely that could be represented by any two functions that have values at 1 and 2??

Sorry if these are dumb questions.
    You're looking too much into it, and your questions dont make much sense. Everything is happening at an instant here.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.