Turn on thread page Beta

Mental Health Nursing- questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour! I'm thinking about applying for mental health nursing as a mature student (my first degree is in Genetics), but I have a few questions.

1) I'm mainly wondering if my work experience will be sufficient to get me an interview? I'm a paid sessional worker for Derbyshire LGBT+, where I run sessions around sexual health/gender identity and all that jazz, and I also work through an agency as a cover teaching assistant, so I have several months of experience supporting young people with special educational needs. Will this count as work experience even though it's not specific to the NHS/care?

Mental health wise, I'm on the committee for an adult self harm support group (which I used to attend as a member when I was younger) and I run a youth self harm support group, where I plan out and deliver activities around positive coping strategies. In conjunction with the LGBT+ group and my TA experience, will this be enough for my application?

2) Is it acceptable to talk about your own experience with mental health on your personal statement? I've struggled a lot over the years and have been under the crisis team on a couple of occasions, and it's really my own experiences that have inspired me to want to work in MH and help other people. Obvs I wouldn't go into specifics, but would it be okay to mention? And on that topic, would a history of MH issues affect my application?

3) My final question is about how competitive the course is. As a graduate, I've done the living away thing already in York and don't really want to repeat it (also dem monies yo). Ideally I'd love to study at Derby as one of their campuses in on my doorstep, but I'm wondering if it's too risky to apply to only one university?

Thanks a million in advance to whoever responds. Sending you all the good vibes and virtual fist bumps <3
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ladamesansmerci)
    Bonjour! I'm thinking about applying for mental health nursing as a mature student (my first degree is in Genetics), but I have a few questions.

1) I'm mainly wondering if my work experience will be sufficient to get me an interview? I'm a paid sessional worker for Derbyshire LGBT+, where I run sessions around sexual health/gender identity and all that jazz, and I also work through an agency as a cover teaching assistant, so I have several months of experience supporting young people with special educational needs. Will this count as work experience even though it's not specific to the NHS/care?

Mental health wise, I'm on the committee for an adult self harm support group (which I used to attend as a member when I was younger) and I run a youth self harm support group, where I plan out and deliver activities around positive coping strategies. In conjunction with the LGBT+ group and my TA experience, will this be enough for my application?

2) Is it acceptable to talk about your own experience with mental health on your personal statement? I've struggled a lot over the years and have been under the crisis team on a couple of occasions, and it's really my own experiences that have inspired me to want to work in MH and help other people. Obvs I wouldn't go into specifics, but would it be okay to mention? And on that topic, would a history of MH issues affect my application?

3) My final question is about how competitive the course is. As a graduate, I've done the living away thing already in York and don't really want to repeat it (also dem monies yo). Ideally I'd love to study at Derby as one of their campuses in on my doorstep, but I'm wondering if it's too risky to apply to only one university?

Thanks a million in advance to whoever responds. Sending you all the good vibes and virtual fist bumps <3
    1. Those sound absolutely fine, but it's more what you got out of each type of experience and how you talk about it in your personal statement that matters. The only thing you may be missing is healthcare experience. Perhaps a day or two shadowing in a dementia charity or care home would also be useful.

2. We have a section in our personal statement guidance which discusses talking about your own experiences which may be useful to you. You can find it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5084328. Regarding your own mental health, there is an article which may be useful to you here:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...alth_Diagnosis. You should, of course, also consider that as part of your degree/career you will likely come across situations very similar to yours which you may find triggering/upsetting.

3. Lots of people only apply to one university. It is definitely a risky move as you have overall fewer chances of getting in. However, it really depends on your priorities and whether staying in the same place is more important to you, or whether you want to get on the degree next year, at any cost. Much of that really depends on your personal circumstances and what is realistic for you.

Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.