Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Despite all the alleged underprivilege it is rare to see a homeless POC watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's a fair question. But if you take London for example, it seems that the homeless population's ethnicity isn't a million percentage points from mirroring that of London in general

Homesless
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-by-ethnicity/

London demographics
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    Could be something to do with the fact that the population of the UK is made of mostly white people.
    I don't get it. Elaborate.

ReputationRep:
    Obvious bait considering the Op's username...:beard:

but **** it I'll give it a go. I've got crisps and heating and I'm in a good mood:

I'll tell you why they're not as homeless. Because many people of colour here are immediate migrants. It's not like the USA where many are direct descendants of slaves brought to that land.The foreigners here are usually first-gen or just got here. And this country prioritises foreigners. I will say...that black foreigners probably get housed less, slower, and/or in worse areas-than brown and EU ones. I bet all the food currently in my fridge on that.

ReputationRep:
    Could be something to do with the fact that the population of the UK is made of mostly white people.
    Considering the numbers of foreigners found in all the major urban areas, the fact that so few of these people (even people from the 3rd world) are destitute, is rather odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    I don't get it. Elaborate.
    Naturally in a country that who’s demographics is majority whites, it stands to reason that there will be more white homeless people than any other demographic.

(Original post by LiberalFascism)
    Considering the numbers of foreigners found in all the major urban areas, the fact that so few of these people (even people from the 3rd world) are destitute, is rather odd.
    I can see the essence of a point here, I go to Uni in Mile End (Tower Hamlets) in which white British make up 31.2% of the population, behind Bangladeshi at 32%. Yet I haven’t seen many homeless Bangladeshis.

But in the Uk as a whole, there will be more homeless white people than any other demographic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiberalFascism)
    It's NOT ODD.

ReputationRep:
    Naturally in a country that who’s demographics is majority whites, it stands to reason that there will be more white homeless people than any other demographic.
    Oh k I thought you were saying, that because there is majority whites (and there are, absolutely) that nonwhites (immediately and inherently) deserve special treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    To be homeless you must be pretty fked because there are so many housing benefits.

vast majority of landlords won't touch benefit claimants with a barge poll.
    Even if one agree's to take one, you'll still need to come up with a deposit first.
    Housing benefit is only gonna be paid if that jobseeker is looking for work, if they are late to a jobcentre appointment it's an automatic 3 month sanction of JSA according to multiple sources, this could effect their ability to meet their rent payments

that's like £800 income GONE ..to someone already on low income

I hear about people being unable to meet payments due to the bedroom tax too..

If a person has no family [or family won't take them] it would not be that hard to get yourself into a situation where they are facing homelessness..

the wheels could literally be set in motion by turning up late once or twice to jobcentre appointments [hefty sanctions] .. which may leave them in rent arrears and cause them to be evicted..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waldorf67)
    It honestly concerns me that a mind as sick and twisted, and Elliot Rogeresque as yours, could be working within the healthcare setting.

One can only hope you don’t/ didn’t pass your degree.
    Reality, as it does all feminists, scares you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.