Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been looking at UOB accommodation online and spoken to a few people who go there. It seems that Stoke Bishop is way more social than the residences in the city centre. Is this true? I’m looking for a self catered, en suite. It seems that the rooms in the city are so much nicer than the ones in Stoke Bishop (like Orchard Heights vs Hiatt Baker) and they are the same cost. I’d rather be in the city but also want a very social atmosphere. What can you suggest???
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I've also been looking and had the same conundrum; unfortunately I think it's just as you say, city centre is nicer and has the ensuites but Stoke Bishop is more social. I think the price of the city centre apartments may exclude a lot of students (I currently work as a property manager in Leeds city centre and expect there might be more overseas students etc who are paying up front for places like Orchard Heights, that's what it's like where I am anyway), which is why the one is Stoke Bishop have a livlier social scene. I'm hoping Clifton has more of a balance? See what any current students have to say!
    (Original post by FJT11)
    I’ve been looking at UOB accommodation online and spoken to a few people who go there. It seems that Stoke Bishop is way more social than the residences in the city centre. Is this true? I’m looking for a self catered, en suite. It seems that the rooms in the city are so much nicer than the ones in Stoke Bishop (like Orchard Heights vs Hiatt Baker) and they are the same cost. I’d rather be in the city but also want a very social atmosphere. What can you suggest???

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm a first year currently in New Bridewell city centre accommodation. I'll try to tell you a bit of how I found it.

The social atmosphere in city centre depends on you as a person and how lucky you get with the people around you. I found more international students tend to live in city centre, and they tend to stick to their own friendship groups. I was lucky enough to get a great flat and a great group next door which really sorts out your nights out and social aspect. But you can also be unlucky with your flat, with one of my mates not knowing his flatmates and barely seeing them for the first 2 months of uni.
    City centre rooms and kitchens are generally much nicer, with some Stoke Bishop rooms (mainly the catered ones) being dreadful. Not too sure about the Clifton halls though. Ensuites are mainly a city centre thing, I haven't really seen them in Stoke Bishop. The common rooms in Stoke Bishop have a much better atmosphere than city centre though, with their own bar and a lot more people visiting them (side note: stoke bishop bar crawl is a load of fun).

One downside to Stoke Bishop is the travelling. You generally have to jump on the U1 bus (free for first years) but since everyone does it you can get huge lines. The bus does run until like 4:00am so you can even get it after nights out, but generally I know a lot of people who have complained about the travelling, whilst in City Centre halls you are 10-15 minute walk from everywhere.

tldr: Stoke Bishop is a lot more sociable generally, but if you go out of your way to make friends and join a society or 2 living in city centre can be a blast. Rooms generally much nicer and modern in city centre.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions or pm and I'll try my best to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for this.

My sister goes to Bristol UWE and stayed in Clifton and she had a similar experience. She was super lucky that she had a good group of people in the top flat, as many other flats as I was concerned didn't look half as lively.

I was personally thinking of applying to Orchard Heights, do you know anyone who went there? and if it was social?

Also, did you notice if any of the other flats in New Bridewell were lively like yours?

The idea of being in the city centre is so much more appealing in terms of easy of travel /nights out etc, but I'm worried it won't have the social element.

Thanks in advanced.

(Original post by AlwaysSillyFresh)
    Hey there, I'm a first year currently in New Bridewell city centre accommodation. I'll try to tell you a bit of how I found it.

The social atmosphere in city centre depends on you as a person and how lucky you get with the people around you. I found more international students tend to live in city centre, and they tend to stick to their own friendship groups. I was lucky enough to get a great flat and a great group next door which really sorts out your nights out and social aspect. But you can also be unlucky with your flat, with one of my mates not knowing his flatmates and barely seeing them for the first 2 months of uni.
    City centre rooms and kitchens are generally much nicer, with some Stoke Bishop rooms (mainly the catered ones) being dreadful. Not too sure about the Clifton halls though. Ensuites are mainly a city centre thing, I haven't really seen them in Stoke Bishop. The common rooms in Stoke Bishop have a much better atmosphere than city centre though, with their own bar and a lot more people visiting them (side note: stoke bishop bar crawl is a load of fun).

One downside to Stoke Bishop is the travelling. You generally have to jump on the U1 bus (free for first years) but since everyone does it you can get huge lines. The bus does run until like 4:00am so you can even get it after nights out, but generally I know a lot of people who have complained about the travelling, whilst in City Centre halls you are 10-15 minute walk from everywhere.

tldr: Stoke Bishop is a lot more sociable generally, but if you go out of your way to make friends and join a society or 2 living in city centre can be a blast. Rooms generally much nicer and modern in city centre.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions or pm and I'll try my best to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I can’t say much about Orchard Heights. I haven’t really met anyone who lives there. Whether that is an indication of the social aspect or whether it’s just bad luck I’m not sure. I’ve only been there once. The quality of rooms seemed similar to New Bridewell (NB), but I’ve heard from friends of friends that it isn’t as nice as (or Courtrooms for that matter, which I find much nicer than New Bridewell but I heard it’s less social).

As for the liveliness of NB, I’ve seen around and met a lot of lively flats. There are a lot of studios kicking around (my floor having 3 flats out of 10 being studios) and a few private renters which are both naturally unsociable. I’ve also seen times when 1 or 2 people out of a flat were pretty unsociable, but the rest are really outgoing and tight.

And if you do end up with a bad flat, it’s doesn’t ruin your time. You can always just become friends with a different group, especially during freshers when almost everyone wants to make friends. You also have people you’ll meet in your course.
    If you’re outgoing you will manage wherever you end up. City centre might just be a tad harder to get the social ball rolling.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.