Turn on thread page Beta

Why is “person of colour” preferred to “black person” watch

ReputationRep:
    I don’t mean that question to be antagonistic, it’s just a genuine question.

I’ve been brought up with the notion that “black person” is acceptable and “coloured person” is not.

The older generation are still catching up, and regularly say “coloured person”. My family has just about learned to refer to a person as a black person, and not a coloured person, but now it’s appropriate to say person of colour.

Not coloured person, but person of colour.

Why is this? I still see people refer to themselves as black people, and brown people. But then others find it offensive.

I really want to emphasise that I’m not asking this question in a rhetorical, accusatory manner, I’m perfectly happy to use POC.

I do not want to start a debate or open a gateway for racism, I’m just curious as to if someone can pinpoint when and how this change happened?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I always thought 'coloured person' was the polite term and calling people blacks was frowned upon...

ReputationRep:
    Not totally sure but perhaps it is because the emphasis is on “person” rather than “colour”...

Things change though - I remember some truly appalling casual racism on TV when I was growing up - so I suspect poc will be out of fashion soon.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would much rather be called black than coloured or "person of colour". (and im only half black)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I always thought 'coloured person' was the polite term and calling people blacks was frowned upon...
    Nooo. Particularly in America this is a more widely known thing.

I'd be lying if I said I knew why, but 'coloured person' can be considered offensive, 'person of colour' is polite and accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Person of colour can refer to anyone with pigmentation in their skin, not just people with a darker complexions but also light mixed raced people. Tbh I think it would be ruder to call someone this rather than black or brown because this phrase groups people up and highlights that they are not white

ReputationRep:
    White is a colour
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Nooo. Particularly in America this is a more widely known thing.

I'd be lying if I said I knew why, but 'coloured person' can be considered offensive, 'person of colour' is polite and accepted.
    What an odd world we live in :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I've always found it weird that 'person of colour' is literally just a more wordy version of 'coloured person', but calling somebody coloured is regarded as very dodgy.

I think the change came with a bunch of modern social justice movements like feminism, assorted LGBT groups etc decided that they cared about racism now, and needed a quick catch all term for all the people that were not white. Could be wrong on that but I first saw it start getting used on things like tumblr and such, around the time where weird versions of feminism were at their peak popularity with edgy teenage girls. Might be coincidental timings I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised that so many people are confused. PoC is a (mainly western) term for ethnic minorities. So it's a catch all term for Black and Asian. Black people are PoC but not all PoC are black. It certainly does not have the same connotations as "coloured" and the two aren't interchangeable. Hope that clears it up.

ReputationRep:
    Person of colour is basically anyone who isn’t white. Never have i seen a black person preffering that over being called black lmao. If anything, person of colour would be more offensive because it isnt just one race.

ReputationRep:
    'Person of colour' just sounds disrespectful. 'Black' is more culturally acceptable. However, mind who you call 'Black' because not everyone likes the 'nickname'.

ReputationRep:
    I guess no one wants to be known as the token black in whatever context hence it's not preferred outside most contexts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jheinexx)
    Person of colour is basically anyone who isn’t white. Never have i seen a black person preffering that over being called black lmao. If anything, person of colour would be more offensive because it isnt just one race.
    I definitely see where you're coming from. Recently I've seen some black people reject the term PoC. I think it's because whilst Black and Asian people sometimes face similar issues as PoC, the individual communities often need their issues dissected with a nuance that the blanket term "PoC" doesn't facilitate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Art.Sibande)
    I definitely see where you're coming from. Recently I've seen some black people reject the term PoC. I think it's because whilst Black and Asian people sometimes face similar issues as PoC, the individual communities often need their issues dissected with a nuance that the blanket term "PoC" doesn't facilitate.
    Thanks for beautifully putting it! exactly

ReputationRep:
    Could go with "person of cheddar"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jheinexx)
    (Original post by Art.Sibande)
    I'm surprised that so many people are confused. PoC is a (mainly western) term for ethnic minorities. So it's a catch all term for Black and Asian. Black people are PoC but not all PoC are black. It certainly does not have the same connotations as "coloured" and the two aren't interchangeable. Hope that clears it up.
    Right okay. This makes sense.

To me it seems that white people prefer to use the term POC. I was talking to this white woman recently about black awareness month, and used the word “black people” and she was offended.

But like you say, if POC is a broad term, there should be nothing wrong with using the term black people when discussing black awareness month!

I was starting to feel like I couldn’t use the term black person, so I’m glad this is cleared up.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get bogged down in why one term is acceptable and another isn't. Go back through the decades and different terms were the PC ones - "negro", "coloured", "blacks", "BEM", "BME" etc.

The term itself doesn't matter. The point is it changes every few decades or so. Those who don't keep up with the latest term then stand out as out of touch. It's a kind of virtue signalling.

The same process applies to many terms for sensitive subjects. Steven Pinker called it "the euphemism treadmill": https://englishcowpath.blogspot.co.u...ng-r-word.html

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.