Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to take AS Subjects for current year 12s? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently in year 12 studying three subjects and I am interested in taking an AS subject in possibly; Maths, Economics or Statistics. My school do not offer economics or statistics so it was not able to take it this year.

So is it possible to take AS Maths, Economics or Statistics when I am in Year 13? I am asking because it was possible before but now there are new rules about A levels (all exams are taken in the second year of sixth form)

Please get back to me if you have any advice or answers!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by unknown2024)
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently in year 12 studying three subjects and I am interested in taking an AS subject in possibly; Maths, Economics or Statistics. My school do not offer economics or statistics so it was not able to take it this year.

So is it possible to take AS Maths, Economics or Statistics when I am in Year 13? I am asking because it was possible before but now there are new rules about A levels (all exams are taken in the second year of sixth form)

Please get back to me if you have any advice or answers!
    Ask your school.
    Yes it is possible, but you need to understand AS levels are mostly linear now, so it will be an examination n its own right and will not contribute to your full A level. This is why the majority of schools have simply stopped taking them, because AS levels arent very useful any more when it comes to uni entrance.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. YOu'd have to ask your school if they would enter you for the exams (I presume you are teaching yourself?)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.