Turn on thread page Beta

Is it ok to wear white tie to the leaver's ball? watch

My year 13 leaver's ball is coming up in a few months and I've been thinking of splashing money on a new full evening dress, just to stand out a little bit! I feel like dinner suits are way to common these days, and I already wore a dinner suit to my year 11 ball. My dad's also a big fan of the full evening dress and wears it to almost any formal evening occasion that doesn't have a specific dress code. He even offered to buy me the whole thing (white marcella shirt, single cuffs, bow tie, waistcoat, tailcoat, high-waisted black trousers, and patent leather shoes) but I have enough money saved up from my part-time job to buy a full evening dress myself and politely declined it. My leaver's ball doesn't have a specific dress code and it's going to be the final time I get to see my school friends and teachers and make an impression. Do you think it's wise to purchase a full evening dress? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Rent one
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My year 13 leaver's ball is coming up in a few months and I've been thinking of splashing money on a new full evening dress, just to stand out a little bit! I feel like dinner suits are way to common these days, and I already wore a dinner suit to my year 11 ball. My dad's also a big fan of the full evening dress and wears it to almost any formal evening occasion that doesn't have a specific dress code. He even offered to buy me the whole thing (white marcella shirt, single cuffs, bow tie, waistcoat, tailcoat, high-waisted black trousers, and patent leather shoes) but I have enough money saved up from my part-time job to buy a full evening dress myself and politely declined it. My leaver's ball doesn't have a specific dress code and it's going to be the final time I get to see my school friends and teachers and make an impression. Do you think it's wise to purchase a full evening dress? Thanks!
    You are extremely unlikely to ever wear it again. Hence...

(Original post by Luke007)
    Rent one
    ^this. (Buy the shirt tho)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bruh I turned up to my leavers ball dressed as alex jones with the illuminati chasing me

Happy Hannukah xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    At my one it was all short skirts and dresses, and casual suits (shirt, no tie etc) because everyone was going to be getting sh*tfaced so no point wearing a fancy outfit.

ReputationRep:
    Sure you could! I purchased a full evening dress for my year 13 ball years ago and received compliments left and right for it, partially because I was the only one in so formal attire I liked it so much more than the dinner suit, which is becoming too boring for my tastes. I'd suggest buying the whole thing if you like it as you can still wear it to university balls that don't have a specific dress code (white tie events are really rare these days), but if you intend to just use it for this one occasion, rent one as has already been mentioned. Have a good time!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am the original anonymous poster, although I don't recall ticking the anonymous box or posting in this particular forum. I suppose this is the more appropriate forum though over the advice forum. After reading the responses, I guess I'll buy it as I really like the full evening dress and intend to wear it to formal university balls in the future I think it wouldn't be too bad of an investment right now and I really want to make an impression at the leavers' ball too! Thanks for your time once again, and to anybody attending the ball this year, I hope you really enjoy it and get something out of it!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.