Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I would like to start doing digital art but have to idea how to begin. As I would be just beginning, I don't want to put a lot of money into it...Any advice? Inexpensive tools and programs?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    A cheap tablet and some free software, opencanvas being one such example, although I think there are better options these days - GIMP seems to have a lot of functionality although I don't know that many that seem to use it much

this is more for the "digital painting" type stuff, you can technically do pixel/sprite art with m+kb and MS paint, although there are much better ways I understand animation will need different tools as well, depending on the type of animation (2d/3d for example) - same for any 3D sculpting work

I started digital art nearly 2 years ago and I understand it’s difficult to start learning a new skill without spending too much money on the equipment. From my experience, I started off with one of the cheapest Wacom tablets. It was around £40-£50 and I found it really easy to use, and it also came with a really good free drawing programme that is great for beginners! I highly recommend Wacom if you’re looking for a tablet and pen to connect to a laptop, I’ve been using Wacom tablets ever since I started and haven’t come across any problems at all and some of them aren’t pricy at all!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.