Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’ve applied to all of these schools for a MA education course. Some are highly ranked for education (Birmingham, Durham, Sheffield) but others have stronger reputations (KCL,UCL). I’m an international student and I’m not sure which way to go. Should I go for the ones with strong brand recognition or for those stronger at the subject matter?

ReputationRep:
    KCL and UCL won't have as strong a subject matter as Birmingham , Durham and Sheffield but it'll not be far behind in any sense. If you want to work in places other than the UK , getting a Masters from KCL or UCL would help your case because not a lot of employers outside the UK would be well versed with how good Durham , Sheffield and Birmingham are in this particular field. If you're looking to get employed in the UK itself, I'd say going for any of the 5 wouldn't make a large difference as such , considering Durham and Birmingham are pretty good unis . Don't know much about Sheffield so can't comment

Why don’t you combine recognition and subject together? Durham has both. On the overall ranking league table, it is number 6 in the U.K., which gives it an overall positive reputation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I also agree with abhinair3004 about being outside the U.K. though, that KCL and UCL are more internationally recognised.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your input. I really like Sheffield’s, Birmingham’s and Sussex’s courses best. I would like to work in the UK, but it is very difficult with visas. Another factor is cost. UCL is over 18,000£ without any scholarships. King’s is one of the cheaper courses, but living in London as you know is very costly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxwelljdh)
    Thank you all for your input. I really like Sheffield’s, Birmingham’s and Sussex’s courses best. I would like to work in the UK, but it is very difficult with visas. Another factor is cost. UCL is over 18,000£ without any scholarships. King’s is one of the cheaper courses, but living in London as you know is very costly..
    The cost factor is also applicable. I'd say go for Durham or Birmingham , good course , good unis and comparatively a lot cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhinair3004)
    The cost factor is also applicable. I'd say go for Durham or Birmingham , good course , good unis and comparatively a lot cheaper
    Thank you very much.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.