Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am writing an essay on the above topic, and I wanted to ask your opinions on whether social media should be regulated and how effectively it can be regulated?

ReputationRep:
    No because it’ll become like TSR
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In a nutshell, yes social media needs to be better regulated to protect people, especially young people. However doing so creates more problems. It's fundamentally impossible to police the Internet and you can argue that to better regulate social media, companies would have to collect more personal data and generally know more about you in order to protect you.

In terms of regulation for safety purposes, I think that is a parents responsibility to teach their kids how to behave and how to stay safe online. The problem here is that most kids know more than their parents.

Of course maybe you mean regulation in terms of controlling what these companies do. Yes, companies like Facebook should be held accountable for what they do and there should be a limit to how much power they have. The GDPR and other new regulations aim to help with things like this but it's difficult to implement properly.

I also think things like social media addiction should be taken more seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    In a nutshell, yes social media needs to be better regulated to protect people, especially young people. However doing so creates more problems. It's fundamentally impossible to police the Internet and you can argue that to better regulate social media, companies would have to collect more personal data and generally know more about you in order to protect you.

In terms of regulation for safety purposes, I think that is a parents responsibility to teach their kids how to behave and how to stay safe online. The problem here is that most kids know more than their parents.

Of course maybe you mean regulation in terms of controlling what these companies do. Yes, companies like Facebook should be held accountable for what they do and there should be a limit to how much power they have. The GDPR and other new regulations aim to help with things like this but it's difficult to implement properly.

I also think things like social media addiction should be taken more seriously.
    I would extend that last part to novelty-at-a-click websites and entertainment addiction too. Overall reasonable and very good response though so rep up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kiritsugu)
    I would extend that last part to novelty-at-a-click websites and entertainment addiction too. Overall reasonable and very good response though so rep up.
    Honestly you could take it a lot further. For example targeted advertising is very powerful and responsible for a lot of these issues. Old school televised advertising doesn't hold a candle to what modern digital adverts can do. It's not directly an addiction but they tend to advertise things that aim to get you addicted, or at least get you to come back.

Online shopping is another big one, they know how to get you to come back. The disconnect between clicking that buy button and the money in your bank makes it far too easy to buy too much.

Gaming addictions and in particular the modern rise of loot boxes and micro transactions. It's gambling, simple as that. In a much broader sense, we are plagued by technology addiction in general.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    No because it’ll become like TSR
    Perfection

OP don't lose focus on the legal side of this question, relating to offences and the remit of the regulator.

ReputationRep:
    it is difficult to regulate social media, but China is able to do it and they got 1.3 billion people.

with artificial intelligence making significant advances in the last few years, it will become be technically feasible and perhaps easier to regulate social media very soon.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 16, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.