Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Am ancient (just turned 50) and am just commencing sociology and humanities access course. My aim is to start a degree in 2019. I know I will not be able to start a long term career when I (hopefully) graduate at the age of 54 and am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to which degree I should study? I am basically looking to get out of the minimum wage bracket which I am currently inhabiting. I am really good with people but I am not at all forceful which I feel alas rules me out of potential social work roles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emma,
    I am currently on the same path as you i would also like to start an access course in September. I think your really inspirational to consider starting an
    access course in this period of your life; i say go for it!
    I would highly recommend looking into Occupational Therapy - this is the career i want to go into. It is highly rewarding and as you said you are good with
    people it would be an ideal role to look into.

Amber
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by emmamackay1)
    Am ancient (just turned 50) and am just commencing sociology and humanities access course. My aim is to start a degree in 2019. I know I will not be able to start a long term career when I (hopefully) graduate at the age of 54 and am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to which degree I should study? I am basically looking to get out of the minimum wage bracket which I am currently inhabiting. I am really good with people but I am not at all forceful which I feel alas rules me out of potential social work roles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey there:hello:

I've moved your thread into the Mature Students forum where you should be able to find the help and advice you need.

MR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2018Amber)
    Hi Emma,
    I am currently on the same path as you i would also like to start an access course in September. I think your really inspirational to consider starting an
    access course in this period of your life; i say go for it!
    I would highly recommend looking into Occupational Therapy - this is the career i want to go into. It is highly rewarding and as you said you are good with
    people it would be an ideal role to look into.

Amber
    Many thanks for the tip Amber - I shall start looking in to this option today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmamackay1)
    Have you thought about teaching?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.