Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have been working at my job for around 6 months now. I have been getting minimum wage since starting working - £4.05 as I was 17. At the end of January I turned 18, does this mean that my wages should increase to the minimum wage of an 18 year old? I know that this is £5.60. The people around me thought that it would, but I just got my February wages and they have still given me £4.05 per hour.
    Is this something that I should get and do I have the right to question? I don't want to seem rude about it but I work 3 days a week at £4.05 and it would be great to get paid that little bit more as I would be getting a lot more a month - so if it is something that I am required to then like I would like it.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Bring it up with your manager. Your wage should increase
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Inform your team leader or manager.

Minimum wage is also going up in April to £5.90 so keep that in mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emsarj)
    Hello, I have been working at my job for around 6 months now. I have been getting minimum wage since starting working - £4.05 as I was 17. At the end of January I turned 18, does this mean that my wages should increase to the minimum wage of an 18 year old? I know that this is £5.60. The people around me thought that it would, but I just got my February wages and they have still given me £4.05 per hour.
    Is this something that I should get and do I have the right to question? I don't want to seem rude about it but I work 3 days a week at £4.05 and it would be great to get paid that little bit more as I would be getting a lot more a month - so if it is something that I am required to then like I would like it.
    Thanks.
    They have made a mistake, your hourly rate should have increased for work done after you turned 18. Raise it with your manager/payroll department and they should rectify it.

ReputationRep:
    there may not be a mistake due to the date your wages are calculated.
    if your birthday was end of Jan, then the wages you received end of Feb would be for January.
    ask hr about it but I think you may see your increase in March pay as that would be for work done in Feb (as in new rate).
    Does this make sense? If you're paid a month in arrears then nothing is wrong yet, but a call to hr would put your mind at rest.

ReputationRep:
    They aren’t necessarily going to know you’ve turned 18 without you telling them
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hey there!

I've moved your thread over to Money and finance, as it's not really News or a Current affair.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.