Minimum Wage when turned 18?! Watch

emsarj
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello, I have been working at my job for around 6 months now. I have been getting minimum wage since starting working - £4.05 as I was 17. At the end of January I turned 18, does this mean that my wages should increase to the minimum wage of an 18 year old? I know that this is £5.60. The people around me thought that it would, but I just got my February wages and they have still given me £4.05 per hour.
Is this something that I should get and do I have the right to question? I don't want to seem rude about it but I work 3 days a week at £4.05 and it would be great to get paid that little bit more as I would be getting a lot more a month - so if it is something that I am required to then like I would like it.
Thanks.
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Bring it up with your manager. Your wage should increase
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Inform your team leader or manager.

Minimum wage is also going up in April to £5.90 so keep that in mind
marple
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by emsarj)
Hello, I have been working at my job for around 6 months now. I have been getting minimum wage since starting working - £4.05 as I was 17. At the end of January I turned 18, does this mean that my wages should increase to the minimum wage of an 18 year old? I know that this is £5.60. The people around me thought that it would, but I just got my February wages and they have still given me £4.05 per hour.
Is this something that I should get and do I have the right to question? I don't want to seem rude about it but I work 3 days a week at £4.05 and it would be great to get paid that little bit more as I would be getting a lot more a month - so if it is something that I am required to then like I would like it.
Thanks.
They have made a mistake, your hourly rate should have increased for work done after you turned 18. Raise it with your manager/payroll department and they should rectify it.
RuthieG101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
there may not be a mistake due to the date your wages are calculated.
if your birthday was end of Jan, then the wages you received end of Feb would be for January.
ask hr about it but I think you may see your increase in March pay as that would be for work done in Feb (as in new rate).
Does this make sense? If you're paid a month in arrears then nothing is wrong yet, but a call to hr would put your mind at rest.
Last edited by RuthieG101; 7 months ago
zozo200016
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
They aren’t necessarily going to know you’ve turned 18 without you telling them
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey there!

I've moved your thread over to Money and finance, as it's not really News or a Current affair.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (1120)
90.25%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (121)
9.75%

Watched Threads