Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys how do u structure a paragraphs for English lit

ReputationRep:
    Point - make your point, eg “Priestly presents Mr Birling as arrogant”
    Evidence - a quotation from the text to back up your point, it doesn’t have to be an exact quote if you can’t remember you can paraphrase a little bit
    Analysis - explain how the evidence proves your point, how and why does the audience see your point
    Speculation - talk about the writer’s intentions, or provide an alternative viewpoint

Remember to work in contextual knowledge - for example at the time of writing, 1945, we had seen two world wars, the titanic sank etc. all things that Mr Birling in 1912 said wouldn’t happen.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie221011)
    Point - make your point, eg “Priestly presents Mr Birling as arrogant”
    Evidence - a quotation from the text to back up your point, it doesn’t have to be an exact quote if you can’t remember you can paraphrase a little bit
    Analysis - explain how the evidence proves your point, how and why does the audience see your point
    Speculation - talk about the writer’s intentions, or provide an alternative viewpoint

Remember to work in contextual knowledge - for example at the time of writing, 1945, we had seen two world wars, the titanic sank etc. all things that Mr Birling in 1912 said wouldn’t happen.

I’m confused on what you write for the conclusion
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    conclusion should basically be a summary of your essay points that directly answer the question, and your own view sometimes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi, I recently created a thread on how I achieved 2 9's in English last year, Inspector Calls was one of the texts I did
    Here's the link, I have examples of how I structured my notes and basic tips
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5208682
    Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    So working on the “Mr Birling is arrogant point” you could say something along the lines of “Priestly has chosen to present him this way to show his stature as an upper class gentleman in 1912 as opposed to Eva Smith, who was unable to stand up for herself due to her presence in the lower class. Furthermore, could be argued that Mr Birling’s arrogant nature is because he is a business man, so he needs to be able to stand his ground in order to make the best deals, such as the marriage between Sheila and Gerald.” This would cover the conclusion pretty well

ReputationRep:
    And then the overall conclusion would pull together all of the points in your essay to answer the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jpatel70)
    I’m confused on what you write for the conclusion
    Something like “Priestley successfully manages to show [responsibility] through his use of stage directions, character development and emotions. (Or whatever you’ve written before). He uses a variety of techniques which each contribute to his intentions of changing British view towards ‘capital vs labour’.
    Something like that. Sorry it’s a bit cringey but I made it up on the spot haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowcat1437)
    Something like “Priestley successfully manages to show [responsibility] through his use of stage directions, character development and emotions. (Or whatever you’ve written before). He uses a variety of techniques which each contribute to his intentions of changing British view towards ‘capital vs labour’.
    Something like that. Sorry it’s a bit cringey but I made it up on the spot haha
    ***to show responsibility through his use of ....

ReputationRep:
    ***to show responsibility through his use of ....
    So for the whole essay You would write

Intro
    Which is rewords the question and some detail and about the character if they have changed

Paragraphs (3-5)
    which you example and add the quotes add the term and example and add the writer method

Conclusion
    Example why the writer has done is and example a bit of the essay

It’s this right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jpatel70)
    So for the whole essay You would write

Intro
    Which is rewords the question and some detail and about the character if they have changed

Paragraphs (3-5)
    which you example and add the quotes add the term and example and add the writer method

Conclusion
    Example why the writer has done is and example a bit of the essay

It’s this right
    Yh basically. Link the conclusion back to the introduction and the rest of the essay tho

ReputationRep:
    Yh basically. Link the conclusion back to the introduction and the rest of the essay tho
    Okay thank you

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.