Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'll be travelling to India for a 2 week placement in a rural hospital for work experience soon. I will be applying for Medicine 2019 entry.

I was wondering what the best way to get verification for the work experience will be, just incase uni's ask for proof of my work experience there.

While I'm there, should I get the doctor I will be shadowing to write me a verification letter? It's just because the hospital I will be in is very rural and for the poor, so I'm just worrying that it might be difficult to get verification when I'm back in the UK.

If I do manage to get a verification letter, will the uni's want to further contact the hospital in India for confirmation once I apply, or will the letter be enough?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    it depends on what unis you end up applying too! i would definitely get a written reference on headed paper from the hospital you are doing work experience at, that states the dates you did it and roughly what you did. (i know when i applied to st.georges 2017 entry they asked for written references from my work / volunteering placements).

however this year when i reapplied my medical schools (lancaster , liverpool and UEA) asked me to fill out a work experience form where i had to write the contact details of someone who could verify my experiences. I know lancaster had further contacted my placements to make sure i did them! so i would assume you would need both a work experience letter and contact details of someone who can they can email to verify your experiences

i hope this answered your question! please let me know if there is anything else
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lana.donelly1)
    Hi,
    I'll be travelling to India for a 2 week placement in a rural hospital for work experience soon. I will be applying for Medicine 2019 entry.

I was wondering what the best way to get verification for the work experience will be, just incase uni's ask for proof of my work experience there.

While I'm there, should I get the doctor I will be shadowing to write me a verification letter? It's just because the hospital I will be in is very rural and for the poor, so I'm just worrying that it might be difficult to get verification when I'm back in the UK.

If I do manage to get a verification letter, will the uni's want to further contact the hospital in India for confirmation once I apply, or will the letter be enough?

Thank you!
    Sounds like an amazing experience! Some medical schools do ask for a reference so it's definitely a good idea to get one.

Like you mentioned a letter from the doctor that you're shadowing and their contact details (do they have an email or a phone number?). Alternatively if they have contact details for the hospital itself or the people you're organising this placement with would be a good idea - I personally wouldn't just come away with a letter in case you get asked for more

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.