Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There are lots of differences between the two unis in general too. Imperial doesn't do tutorials, Oxford has the college system, Oxford living costs are substantially less, Oxford is just generally richer and more able to offer facilities as a result.

If you are international then I'm guessing the fees are different? Especially after college fees are added? You have looked into that i assume?

(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    ...both have tutorials ...
    Imperial does not have tutorials. Imperial has seminars which it calls Tutorials to try to pretend its Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    There are lots of differences between the two unis in general too. Imperial doesn't do tutorials, Oxford has the college system, Oxford living costs are substantially less, Oxford is just generally richer and more able to offer facilities as a result.

If you are international then I'm guessing the fees are different? Especially after college fees are added? You have looked into that i assume?

Imperial does not have tutorials. Imperial has seminars which it calls Tutorials to try to pretend its Oxford.
    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/physics/st...ing/tutorials/

Seminars are 15-30 people in size and don't usually happen 4x a week
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/physics/st...ing/tutorials/

Seminars are 15-30 people in size and don't usually happen 4x a week
    You just linked a thing labelled "Tutorials" which describes classes of 20+, nothing like the 1-4 of an Oxford tutorial, so... thanks for proving my point i guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You just linked a thing labelled "Tutorials" which describes classes of 20+, nothing like the 1-4 of an Oxford tutorial, so... thanks for proving my point i guess?
    It clearly says the tutor will "divide the class into smaller groups of four or five who will work through a problem together as a group".

Where did you get the figure for 20+?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/students/.../how-we-teach/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It clearly says the tutor will "divide the class into smaller groups of four or five who will work through a problem together as a group".

Where did you get the figure for 20+?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/students/.../how-we-teach/
    A tutor dividing a large group into smaller groups to discuss amongst themselves now = the same as a 2 to 1 tutorial does it? :laugh:

It says there are 12 tutorial groups for the entire year group, which is 240+.

To me, a group of 20 is very much a seminar, and calling it a 'tutorial' when a key rival has a very famous 'tutorial system' has clear motives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eloquent45)
    Are you an oxonian, if u dont mind me asking
    Nope, UCL.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.