Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this is highly subjective and I know a lot of people love their hardcore drama schools and will think I'm weak/uncommitted/a wuss for even asking this, but here it is: I've talked to a few people who went to big name drama schools (RADA and Central School of Speech and Drama if I recall correctly) who after trying so hard to get in found themselves wanting to die after about a month in the programmes. They warned me that the teaching approach at both of these institutions is to first break you down entirely, to destroy your very sense of self, and then build you back up from scratch - that feedback consisted entirely of harsh criticism bordering on verbal abuse and that they were pushed to their limits physically and mentally.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Of course I want to be pushed and I want to be challenged and I don't mind putting in long hours and working hard. But I don't know if I want to have my spirit broken and be made to feel like **** 5 days a week (that can't be good for your mental health?) - I swear I'm serious and dedicated to this profession, but some of these practices sound counter-productive.

Is anyone here from Central and RADA - is this accurate? And what about the other big name drama schools? I have friends who go to LAMDA and say it's not as bad. What about Mountview, Italia Conti, Drama Centre, Drama Studio, ALRA, Guildhall, Bristol Old Vic and the Oxford School of Drama? Any sense of the differences in "personality" between all these institutions / how the teaching approaches vary?

ALSO: I already have a BA in Acting, have an agent and lots of experience so I'm applying for Masters programmes, if that makes a difference. Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jem931520058)
    Ok so this is highly subjective and I know a lot of people love their hardcore drama schools and will think I'm weak/uncommitted/a wuss for even asking this, but here it is: I've talked to a few people who went to big name drama schools (RADA and Central School of Speech and Drama if I recall correctly) who after trying so hard to get in found themselves wanting to die after about a month in the programmes. They warned me that the teaching approach at both of these institutions is to first break you down entirely, to destroy your very sense of self, and then build you back up from scratch - that feedback consisted entirely of harsh criticism bordering on verbal abuse and that they were pushed to their limits physically and mentally.

Of course I want to be pushed and I want to be challenged and I don't mind putting in long hours and working hard. But I don't know if I want to have my spirit broken and be made to feel like **** 5 days a week (that can't be good for your mental health?) - I swear I'm serious and dedicated to this profession, but some of these practices sound counter-productive.

Is anyone here from Central and RADA - is this accurate? And what about the other big name drama schools? I have friends who go to LAMDA and say it's not as bad. What about Mountview, Italia Conti, Drama Centre, Drama Studio, ALRA, Guildhall, Bristol Old Vic and the Oxford School of Drama? Any sense of the differences in "personality" between all these institutions / how the teaching approaches vary?

ALSO: I already have a BA in Acting, have an agent and lots of experience so I'm applying for Masters programmes, if that makes a difference. Thanks x
    One thing to consider is why you want to do a Master's? Are you getting any decent parts via your agent? What is lacking in your past education and experience that you want to improve?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jem931520058)

Who have you been talking to? Because what you've said is stupid. Look, my friends at drama school tell me it's very hardwork; I mean, they're training you to be ready for gruelling hours on set/in the rehearsal room; what you face in drama school is what you're expected to face when working as an actor. But "break" you? This reminds me of that stupid RADA/Drama Centre myth every 17-year-old Sixth Form student goes around quoting "I'd never audition there because they're unfiltered, they'll rip you apart... I had a friend who the RADA panel rinsed because they mispronounced a word"... " like, no. This doesn't happen and neither does the "BREAK YOUR PERSONALITY" myth. Honestly, why would they want to break your personality? That's such strange thing to assume. And even if they did, surely that would mean every RADA, CSSD, Guildhall actor would be the same...

Seriously, if you want an MA in acting the best schools are the ones that'll give you the best training. Just audition, get a feel for them at least.

ReputationRep:
    They are either very weak themselves or just pulling your leg. I’m from the TTSM course at RADA and it’s hard work, the actors also have a lot of work too. We do get thrown in the deep end but the tutors are always there to help us and some days are very long and strenuous but no tutors have been abusive. I made a mistake with cutting some material for scenery and the tutor told me it was fine and not to worry about it, they didn’t make me feel bad for it or anything. And I still got a good grade for the term, they’re all supportive some dint show it as obviously and some swear but it’s jokingly.

However there is stress and some people don’t cope with the work load but that is only what will happen in the real industry.

I know you’re into acting but I thought I’d throw in my opinion. Also when I interviewed with RADA, LAMDA and Guildhall I felt RADA was the most friendly

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.