Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do I want to be lonely? Is there something wrong with me? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've had many friends before, and I used to want a relationship just like everyone else.
    However as I mature through school life, I crave this less and I'm not sure why...

I feel reluctant to go out, communicate or start any form of relationship. A guy recently asked me out and I felt disgusted at the thought of being trapped like that. Would rather fake my own death than go on a date with someone I choose. Why would you want to trust someone with your heart and live to make them happy? I don't see any more positives than negatives in having a partner.

Even my mum is trying to get me out of the house. She told me I can go and party or invite anyone I please round our house, but I hate the idea of getting involved with crazy activities like that. It's like I'm turning into a boring cow who just wastes away at life and enjoys it.

Is there something wrong with me?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

You're only in school. If you're not ready for a relationship, that's okay. You have a whole life ahead of you for romance. And if you never feel like you want a relationship, that's ok too. Don't let society dictate how you live your life. However, relationships aren't about 'living to make someone happy'. Your own happiness ALWAYS comes first. Relationships are hard work at times, but they're based on mutual trust, communication and compromise. If a relationship is one sided and only one person is getting any satisfaction from it, then that isn't a healthy relationship that you want to be in.

You're not boring just because you don't like parties. Are there any other things you could get in involved in, such as clubs at school, or local sports groups or anything like that?

How is your mood in general? It could be that you have an underlying mental health issue. I know when I was depressed, all I wanted to do was stay inside on my own and I constantly felt like I wanted to be lonely, but in reality isolating yourself is rarely going to be good for your mental well being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorox)
    I've had many friends before, and I used to want a relationship just like everyone else.
    However as I mature through school life, I crave this less and I'm not sure why...

I feel reluctant to go out, communicate or start any form of relationship. A guy recently asked me out and I felt disgusted at the thought of being trapped like that. Would rather fake my own death than go on a date with someone I choose. Why would you want to trust someone with your heart and live to make them happy? I don't see any more positives than negatives in having a partner.

Even my mum is trying to get me out of the house. She told me I can go and party or invite anyone I please round our house, but I hate the idea of getting involved with crazy activities like that. It's like I'm turning into a boring cow who just wastes away at life and enjoys it.

Is there something wrong with me?
    Philosophical Miserablism, where someone derives satisfaction from depression. I feel like that occasionally, use it as fuel to strive, dont let it control you and degrade your ambitions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.