The Student Room Group

Is there a point of me getting social media?

Poll

Who here has at-least one traditional social media account?

I currently in the final year of secondary school, and so far i have do not have any social media (expect whatsapp if you can count that). I have always found the idea of social media to be degenerate concept. Another reason why i dont have social media is that i want to run for public office when i am older and i don't want my social media posts come back to haunt me.

Am i missing out on anything or will this put be at a disadvantage in the future.

For people saying Social media is a good way to make friends, I already have close knit of group of friends who themselves don't use social media for the same reason.
Reply 1
The reason for me asking is that i had to move school (from private to public) and the students of the school were very surprised with this and are 'pressuring me'. Even though i am 'friends' with them at school, i do not wish to get closer to them.
If you don't wanna get social media, then don't get social media. There are other ways to keep in touch with people.

If you do make the decision to get social media such as a facebook, there are things you can do to make your account private. I work in a school, so mine has the highest available privacy settings. I've changed my name (to not include my surname) so kids can't find me, all my posts are private to friends only, my friends list is private and etc etc. Only add people you actually know and trust in real life.

If you don't want posts to come back and haunt you, then don't post things you wouldn't be comfortable with an employer seeing. If you want to work in a role which is very public and under a lot of scrutiny, then posting a picture of yourself whilst trashed at 3am probs 'aint a good idea. In fact, if you create an account, beyond maybe a profile picture, you're under no requirement to post any content. On facebook, you can have timeline review which also prevents people posting on your wall as you have to view and approve the posts first.

But it's no biggie. If you don't want social media don't let anyone pressure you into getting it.
Reply 3
Well don't make any negative comments in posts they won't come back to haunt you, simple as that.
Don’t make offensive comments and you’ll be fine.
In my personal opinion, yes you are at disadvantage, being a politician means you have to be a man of the people. And socail media is the best way to know the people's will
When you are older, you will be forced have a social media presence as we are living in a internet age and if you don't have one you will be seen to be out of touch with the people
Original post by Alistair001
I currently in the final year of secondary school, and so far i have do not have any social media (expect whatsapp if you can count that). I have always found the idea of social media to be degenerate concept. Another reason why i dont have social media is that i want to run for public office when i am older and i don't want my social media posts come back to haunt me.

Am i missing out on anything or will this put be at a disadvantage in the future.

For people saying Social media is a good way to make friends, I already have close knit of group of friends who themselves don't use social media for the same reason.

Moderation, in all things.
Although personally, I don't get these people who are on literally everything (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr...).
Who has that kind of free time?

I'm on a few of the above, only using 1 regularly, and even then I try to delete the app from my phone for a couple of weeks every now and then - that stuff is addictive as hell.
Reply 8
I agree with all guys to certain aspect. However i just don't see the point of using social media to talk to/share random photos with effectively stranger. I would rather just see my friends in real life or talk on the phone.
Reply 9
Original post by Johnathan94
Moderation, in all things.
Although personally, I don't get these people who are on literally everything (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr...).
Who has that kind of free time?

I'm on a few of the above, only using 1 regularly, and even then I try to delete the app from my phone for a couple of weeks every now and then - that stuff is addictive as hell.

Before i moved school, i wasn't aware that social media was such a big thing.
Personally I have a few social media accounts, however I don't post on them or anything and so, as such, nothing can really come back to haunt me. If you were to get any, I'd get facebook as it allows you to stay in contact with people when you leave school and you can stay up to date with what they are doing.
I also use twitter, but don't post. I use it more to stay up to date with the world as people tweet about current ongoing events.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending