The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Central saint martins fashion journalism

Anyone else have an interview for fashion journalism at CSM?
Confused about the portfolio advice they gave us.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Izzygardner
Anyone else have an interview for fashion journalism at CSM?
Confused about the portfolio advice they gave us.

You better get it sorted out asap as the course will be very competitive. If you have queries, then clear it up with them. It should be clear enough as I assume all other students get the same advice and will cope.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Original post by May05
Hi Tigger,
The Student Room is a supportive forum and not a place for you to vent and be negative. Best get your attitutude sorted asap!

The course states no portfolio is required, yet applicants invited to interview this year have been requested with two weeks notice to submit a portfolio.
Hopefully a response will be submitted from a supportive past or present student for this course.

Are you a mod?
I was neither venting or negative , but was suggesting you or the OP had an issue that was capable of being resolved quickly by contacting them and seeking clarification so you or the OP knew where you stood. That is just common sense and is what I would be doing were I in that situation. If other candidates have received the same instructions, then U expect they would be seeking clarification as well. If it is an actual change, then its not really going to be something an existing student can help with as it would be down to the organisers.

My attitude is fine thank you very much if anything I am too stupidly helpful on these forums.
Original post by May05
You are not helpful!

You are missing the point. Central St Martins are the only people who can clear up your query and you need to contact them first thing tomorrow to know what you are dealing with. If it is a mistake then you will know by the end of the call if it is not then you are going to have to have a think on what to sort out. That is the quickest way to progress your dilemma.

You may get a response from someone on the course, but they cant tell you what is in your letter as only the course organisers can do that. Sooner you call then the sooner you know. That is how I would resolve the situation.
hey!! did you hear back? I'm so confused as well and was wondering if somebody else got ahold of them? I remember they said no portfolio was needed and now they want one within 20 days! I'm really unsure of what to do...
yeah same i think they mean for it to be vague though to see what we come up with. i think i’m just gonna do a sort of journalistic article but document my process/research as i go along and put it all in a portfolio with the essay at the end
Yeah and I'm freaking out. One minute they're asking me to confirm an 'interview' date and then a moment later I'm recieving confirmation for my 'portfolio review date'??? Anyways, is anyone's interview on the 19th of March?
Reply 7
Original post by ylaenneknagem
yeah same i think they mean for it to be vague though to see what we come up with. i think i’m just gonna do a sort of journalistic article but document my process/research as i go along and put it all in a portfolio with the essay at the end

Yeah same think I'm just going to have a few examples of my writing then the rest ideas because it said something about "creative experimentation is sometimes more important than finished outcome"
Reply 8
Original post by clairecsm
Yeah and I'm freaking out. One minute they're asking me to confirm an 'interview' date and then a moment later I'm recieving confirmation for my 'portfolio review date'??? Anyways, is anyone's interview on the 19th of March?

yeah mines then :smile:
Reply 9
Hi! I am curious when did you guys send in all your information? I applied to fashion history, but like journalism, you submit a written portfolio. I have seen some post for some students getting interviews and others rejected. I have yet to receive any news since I submitted my portfolio. Maybe I am been considered after people turn down their offers?
Original post by ALaud
Hi! I am curious when did you guys send in all your information? I applied to fashion history, but like journalism, you submit a written portfolio. I have seen some post for some students getting interviews and others rejected. I have yet to receive any news since I submitted my portfolio. Maybe I am been considered after people turn down their offers?

We didn't have to submit a portfolio for journalism, we were just asked to submit an appropriate essay and then based on that we would either be invited to an interview or rejected.

Did you initially apply through UCAS before the 15th of January? That was the CSM deadline for equal consideration, it's only if you applied after then that they might wait for responses from others before they consider yourself. -note* I applied late to a course at LCF and still received a place. If you applied before then you should be fine just try not to worry, I know that admission tutors usually look through applications in batches and the send out the responses so there can be slight delays in hearing back.
you know how it says “visual research” are your guys gonna include original stuff or just pictures from the internet to go with what you’ve written? also how long are other people’s portfolios?
Hi yes I have an interview next Monday at CSM for Fashion journalism. For my portfolio, I did two projects: one from my current uni and a personal project. I also created a mood-board about me and my interests towards fashion journalism. I've also included 3 articles. I feel like my portfolio is not strong enough though. I'm so nervous.
Original post by clairecsm

mine is on the 19th, in the morning though x
you know how it says “visual research” are your guys gonna include original stuff or just pictures from the internet to go with what you’ve written? also how long are other people’s portfolios?

I've just included pictures to go with what I've written to show how that influenced my writing
Original post by Izzygardner
I've just included pictures to go with what I've written to show how that influenced my writing

Mine has five written pieces , then a shoot i worked on and then a moodpboard at the end :smile:
how old is everyone btw?
i’m 17 but i’ll be 18 when the course starts
i’m 17 but i’ll be 18 when the course starts

ahh yeah I'm 18
I'm 19. Did you guys pick a morning or afternoon time for your interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest