Turn on thread page Beta

What food can you not eat with braces? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting braces tomorrow and I was wondering what foods will I not be able to eat when I have braces? And what are the possible consequences?

ReputationRep:
    Jellies and chocolates. You can eat them if you're careful in chewing but I can't count how many times I broke my braces
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You can eat most foods, just have to cut it up into tiny pieces

ReputationRep:
    Gum, sticky toffee, anything sticky basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azeem Shah)
    Jellies and chocolates. You can eat them if you're careful in chewing but I can't count how many times I broke my braces
    Wait you can't eat chocolate!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peeked)
    Wait you can't eat chocolate!?
    Depends on the chocolate, if its tough if might be a challenge, when i had braces i'd melt it in the microwave and then eat it.

ReputationRep:
    Corn on the cob, lamb chops, anything that will break your braces basically. But I think it's worth it when you have such beautiful teeth by the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fazzy_77)
    Corn on the cob, lamb chops, anything that will break your braces basically. But I think it's worth it when you have such beautiful teeth by the end of it.
    Very true it is worth it, aww I like lamb though

ReputationRep:
    You can eat pretty much anything as long as it isn't rock solid, really chewy, really sticky, or has bits that can damage your braces (like popcorn). For me, my diet was exactly the same except without rock solid garlic bread (I cooked it soft instead), popcorn and toffee. As long as the food's not a challenge to eat, it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You can, basically you have to be careful when you're biting down in the chocolate bar cause I've broken mine in this case
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I ate pretty much everything with braces. I didn't use chewing gum as it was a nightmare if it got tangled.

ReputationRep:
    My braces seemed to break all the time. The annoyance of them breaking is unbearable. Mine seemed to break from anything. Although the obvious thing to do is stay away from hard food - it was always hard food and not sticky (but that might just be the luck of the draw).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshyouare)
    My braces seemed to break all the time. The annoyance of them breaking is unbearable. Mine seemed to break from anything. Although the obvious thing to do is stay away from hard food - it was always hard food and not sticky (but that might just be the luck of the draw).
    Ah okay, what happens if they break what do the orthodontist do? Does it make the treatment last longer?

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, what happens if they break what do the orthodontist do? Does it make the treatment last longer?
    I guess it does a little bit. I think i broke mine like 8 times maybe and they threatened to take them off because I kept breaking them. They also said that it makes the treatment last longer but I got mine taken off after about a year and 4 months I think when they first said it was going to be over 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    You're not meant to eat hard/chewy foods as they supposedly break your braces.
    However, I ate pretty much anything for 3 years and mine never broke.
    Avoid gum, it gets really tangled in the braces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshyouare)
    I guess it does a little bit. I think i broke mine like 8 times maybe and they threatened to take them off because I kept breaking them. They also said that it makes the treatment last longer but I got mine taken off after about a year and 4 months I think when they first said it was going to be over 2 years.
    That's a relief, they said that to me that the the treatment is going to last over 2 years but I hope it's shorter

ReputationRep:
    That's a relief, they said that to me that the the treatment is going to last over 2 years but I hope it's shorter
    I would say way your retainers afterwards, mine have moved a lot since I stopped wearing them.

ReputationRep:
    I've had braces and ate pretty much everything lol.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Boiled sweets

ReputationRep:
    octopus

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.