Turn on thread page Beta

Going into International Development (The UN) with a Philosophy Degree watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a 1st year Philosophy student at UCL. Philosophy as a degree I chose due to having a lack of an obvious career direction when the time came to choose a degree, but as the year has gone by my career interests have become slightly more clear and a career in international development is what seems most fitting and interesting for me, with the United Nations being the ultimate goal.

My question is whether what a Philosophy degree teaches you can be transferred into what the UN and other international development organisations ask for. Would a Philosophy degree alone be enough to go into this area of work, or would further specialization through a masters or conversion course be required? A law conversion at the end of the degree has always been my vague plan, so would a GDL also help in transferring into international development, since human rights work is a large & important sector within organisations like the UN?

Or, of course, is a Philosophy degree altogether going in completely the wrong direction, and should I change courses? I am hesitant to do this, but of course if it's necessary, I may have to open up to the idea.

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isn't Taken)
    Hi, I am a 1st year Philosophy student at UCL. Philosophy as a degree I chose due to having a lack of an obvious career direction when the time came to choose a degree, but as the year has gone by my career interests have become slightly more clear and a career in international development is what seems most fitting and interesting for me, with the United Nations being the ultimate goal.

My question is whether what a Philosophy degree teaches you can be transferred into what the UN and other international development organisations ask for. Would a Philosophy degree alone be enough to go into this area of work, or would further specialization through a masters or conversion course be required? A law conversion at the end of the degree has always been my vague plan, so would a GDL also help in transferring into international development, since human rights work is a large & important sector within organisations like the UN?

Or, of course, is a Philosophy degree altogether going in completely the wrong direction, and should I change courses? I am hesitant to do this, but of course if it's necessary, I may have to open up to the idea.

Many thanks!
    A GDL has no benefit for working in the UN in ID.

Don't take this as gospel, but I think to get into the UN for that area you'd need a Masters degree in the subject and definitely some experience beforehand. Getting a masters and then working for an NGO is a good route to take.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.