Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Get rejected from Primark, Asda, Tesco etc... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a NEET, been unemployed for a long time. I have experience in working in part-time positions at sports direct, wilko and have volunteered before for numerous charities as a shop assistant and a graphic designer.

I know it's a catch-22 situation, but what ways could increase my chances of gaining part time employment, other than improving my CV (I got help improving it and I think it's really good)? Part time because I want to dedicate some of my time to other endeavours.

Thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ua3142)
    I'm a NEET, been unemployed for a long time. I have experience in working in part-time positions at sports direct, wilko and have volunteered before for numerous charities as a shop assistant and a graphic designer.

I know it's a catch-22 situation, but what ways could increase my chances of gaining part time employment, other than improving my CV (I got help improving it and I think it's really good)? Part time because I want to dedicate some of my time to other endeavours.

Thank you
    Try mcdonalds. They take on a lot of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Try mcdonalds. They take on a lot of students.
    He's NEET lol, Not in education, employment or training. Not a student

I have the answer OP

Here.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)

I have the answer OP

Here.

Spoiler:
    Show
    uhmm 😂😂... cool
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by somemightsay888)

I have the answer OP

Here.

Spoiler:
    Show

I probably should have worded it better, but they take on a lot of people with no or little experience. Students happen to be some of those people.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Just keep applying and trying. You have experience which is good. How long did you stay at your previous jobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Just keep applying and trying. You have experience which is good. How long did you stay at your previous jobs?
    3 months at Sports Direct and 6 months at Wilko.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    3 months at Sports Direct and 6 months at Wilko.
    Why did you leave those jobs?

ReputationRep:
    Why did you leave those jobs?
    Sports direct was a summer job and they decided not to take me on. I left the job at Wilko because I grew sick of the early hours and also I was starting a business at the same time and was very naive in that pursuit. Thought I could use the money I made from my job and invest in my business to generate money straight away. It didn't work like that all and I was vastly under prepared for that venture.

I should have communicated with my managers about my dislike for working early hours, lesson learned.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Sports direct was a summer job and they decided not to take me on. I left the job at Wilko because I grew sick of the early hours and also I was starting a business at the same time and was very naive in that pursuit. Thought I could use the money and make money straight away. It didn't work like that all and I was vastly under prepared for that venture.

I should have communicated with my managers about my dislike for working early hours, lesson learned.
    It could be possible that employers see that you've worked at those jobs but for such short times and think you are unreliable. They don't want to go through the effort of hiring someone only for them to leave after a few months. Maybe you should make it clear on your CV that Sports Direct was temporary if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    It could be possible that employers see that you've worked at those jobs but for such short times and think you are unreliable. They don't want to go through the effort of hiring someone only for them to leave after a few months. Maybe you should make it clear on your CV that Sports Direct was temporary if you haven't already.
    Good point... 😶😶, should have done that ages ago. what about explaining why I left my previous job in my cover letter, would that help?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Good point... 😶😶, should have done that ages ago. what about explaining why I left my previous job in my cover letter, would that help?
    To be honest I can't help you with that one. I've never had to write a cover letter yet so I don't know what you need to include but I hope someone else can help you!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I can't help you with that one. I've never had to write a cover letter yet so I don't know what you need to include but I hope someone else can help you!
    No worries, thanks for tip! I'm getting assistance from other sources as well. Yeah, let's see

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    Being able to drive vans etc with manual gearboxes, which would help for stores like Iceland, Tesco, Morrison's etc which provide delivery services. Driving experience on top of that is helpful. Supermarkets want people who are dynamic, they can do any function required. Being able to drive is a benefit where applicable.

First aid training is also helpful, albeit pricey.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.