Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE an inspector calls - single word analysis watch

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I am attempting to write an essay about how Mrs Birling is represented in An Inspector Calls. Although I am able to include, point, quote, effect and intention, to some degree, in my answer, I know I need to include some more single word analysis. I am just wondering if anybody could help me out and explain how you would analyse the quote "Her husbands social superior". I am really hopeing for the high grades this year and aiming for a 7/8 in English lit. I am panicking a little regarding the exam and ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!
    Also if anybody knows how I could incorporate any context regarding this interpretation it would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisexchandler)
    At the moment, I am attempting to write an essay about how Mrs Birling is represented in An Inspector Calls. Although I am able to include, point, quote, effect and intention, to some degree, in my answer, I know I need to include some more single word analysis. I am just wondering if anybody could help me out and explain how you would analyse the quote "Her husbands social superior". I am really hopeing for the high grades this year and aiming for a 7/8 in English lit. I am panicking a little regarding the exam and ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!
    Also if anybody knows how I could incorporate any context regarding this interpretation it would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.
    "Husbands social superior", sibilance is used. Context, men were regarded higher to women to provide, so the fact that she was greater than him proved that she was capable as a women. Not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for this. I didn’t think of sibilance. Do you know what the effect of this?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    "a girl of that SORT"
    Euphemism
    She means the lower class, she believes that she can trample upon them as if they are inhabitants.
    This shows the snobbery of most upper-class women/men as well.
    That's all I can remember.
    Btw is it better to do a theme or character? since there will be a question of a character and a theme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisexchandler)
    Thank you so much for this. I didn’t think of sibilance. Do you know what the effect of this?
    Strongly stressed consonants.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I wouldn't write about sibilance for that quote as it's a character direction so I don't think Priestley wrote it with the intention of having an effect on his audience/reader. I'm not saying you'd be wrong to do that but as the audience of the play won't hear that line I don't think its the most relevant thing you could say. This isn't in any way meant to say that TheAlchemistress its wrong by the way. It's a good quote for context though - you can write about the differences between her and her husband and how she has old money. Even though she and her husband were likely on a similar level wealth wise, the fact she comes from a historically upper class family and Mr Birling made his own wealth through business (ie new money), makes her his superior, so you can say something about that. You can also link it to her strong feelings about class in the rest of the play. Priestley sees her social superiority as one of the key things an actor/reader needs to know about playing Mrs Birling, which is why he writes it in the description of her character, so it shows how important to her it is to be 'superior'.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Perhaps the use of the noun "social" is a subtle way of Priestley outlining how the sense of patriarchy and superiority is a superficial construct of society and isn't a definite trait of people.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.