Turn on thread page Beta

Confused:Rate Of Hydrolysis of primary Haloalkanes watch

ReputationRep:
    Im doing A level OCR chemistry and we did a practical on 'rate of hydrolysis of primary Haloalkanes'.

The method sheet we were given wasn't clear hence I was wondering if someone could outline the method in detail. We used chlorobutane,bromobutane and iodobutane in conjunction with ethanol and silver nitrate.

I was also wondering whats the purpose of the ethanol and silver nitrate.

ReputationRep:
    You would use the ethanol to completley dissolve everything in the mixture and the silver nitrate is used to produce the precipitate so you know which
    halogen has been hydrolysed in which order.

So because the C-I bond is the weakest you should get the yellow silver iodide precipitate being formed first becuase it is hydrolysed before the C-Br and
    C-Cl bond because it is the weakest (and iodine is the least reactive halogen so it forms weaker bonds compared to bromine and chlorine).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpicyMemes69)
    You would use the ethanol to completley dissolve everything in the mixture and the silver nitrate is used to produce the precipitate so you know which
    halogen has been hydrolysed in which order.

So because the C-I bond is the weakest you should get the yellow silver iodide precipitate being formed first becuase it is hydrolysed before the C-Br and
    C-Cl bond because it is the weakest (and iodine is the least reactive halogen so it forms weaker bonds compared to bromine and chlorine).
    Thanks a lot for brief explanation!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.