Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ellamax123)
    Prefer the courses I was offered at the Scottish unis however I prefer Bristol and London as cities! Very difficult.
    I really think the course comes first. There's no point studying something for 3+ years unless you enjoy it.

London is easy to visit when you want to
    And you can always move to London/Bristol for employment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    It's the accreditation that matters in that equation, not the "prestige". Edit: and tell me where I said accreditation is important to employers? It's important to the student for the reason I gave.

Prestige is more generally considered to be a much narrower selection of universities: more usually only some RGs plus notable non-RGs like St Andrews and Bath. Prestige is a more nebulous idea than being a "good university". Loughborough, UEA and Surrey are "good universities" but few would say they are prestigious.
    You're just nitpicking over definitions now. I'm bored, bye.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    You're just nitpicking over definitions now. I'm bored, bye.
    As an engineer I would have thought you would understand the need for standardised definitions.

Bye.

ReputationRep:
    Is it? So all universities in the RG are prestigious? And Loughborough is prestigious? Interesting. So are Kent, Sussex and Reading prestigious? They are above some RG universities. As I said, usually "prestigious" is a rather more select group.

And if you care to reply to my earlier post, make sure you cover off my edit. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm still interested to hear about your placement year.
    You never even asked about my placement year. As I said before I'm bored now and your stalking is getting kinda creepy.

ReputationRep:
    As an engineer I would have thought you would understand the need for standardised definitions.

Bye.
    Yes, in engineering. In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't engineering.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You never even asked about my placement year. As I said before I'm bored now and your stalking is getting kinda creepy.
    I did, in this reply to you.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...&postcount=198
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ellamax123)
    I have the same issue but different! I have offers from RG unis in England (Bristol/KCL) and non RG in Scotland (Aberdeen/Strathclyde) and have no idea how to decide as I am choosing between £9000 a year or no tuition fees as I am Scottish- my decision will have to be based on if RG is worth it!
    As a scottish resident who's at a comparable uni to your English ones.. Definitely move.. I'm assuming you're not interested in engineering given those choices but the delta in opportunities, brand, calibre of students, etc is quite large between those two groups in non-engineering spheres.

Fees wise, you're gonna be paying the 9% marginal if you move out in scotland or go to england (unless you're very wealthy and don't need a maintenance loan) so it's a pretty moot point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes, in engineering. In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't engineering.
    In anything really, and that's why PQ asked you the question: it's clear now you have a different view of "prestige" to just about everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    In anything really, and that's why PQ asked you the question: it's clear now you have a different view of "prestige" to just about everyone else.
    Unless you've asked everyone else then this is just an assumption.

ReputationRep:
    I did, in this reply to you.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...&postcount=198
    I didn't get a notification for this so I apologise. Also I've just seen that you're a section leader and according to your profile you're a parent of grown up children. I'm seriously embarrassed for you now.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get a notification for this so I apologise. Also I've just seen that you're a section leader and according to your profile you're a parent of grown up children. I'm seriously embarrassed for you now.
    Hahahahahah, the classic I didn't see the notification. Nice going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Hahahahahah, the classic I didn't see the notification. Nice going.
    No I literally didn't get a notification for that...why would I lie? It was hardly a post I'd have a problem responding to if I'd seen it

ReputationRep:
    No I literally didn't get a notification for that...why would I lie? It was hardly a post I'd have a problem responding to if I'd seen it
    Why have you lied about 15 things so far in this thread? A question which can only be answered by your psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Why have you lied about 15 things so far in this thread? A question which can only be answered by your psychiatrist.
    Ok literally no idea what you're on about
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So are you responding then? How was the placement?

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't doing a heavily oversubscribed field like Finance and Law you should be good. Most people I talk to who go to assessment centres for these positions say its flooded with the top universities only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hysterria)
    Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

I'm really unsure of what to do, advice would be more than welcome
    I'm a little unqualified, and have been excoriated in the past for daring to offer opinions on Uk unis, as i am a yank. However, my view from this side of the pond, having been a working engineer for about 40 years, and a hiring manager for a few more, is that here, unless you have attended some place like Yale, Harvard, or the like, [neither of which is particularly noted for engineering], the chances are that whatever hiring manager you are dealing with, has never heard of the particular uni you attended. I would be ready to admit that this may not be as true in the Uk, because it is so much smaller, [roughly the size of Nevada], and there are so many fewer unis. The only exception being if the manager attended YOUR uni. Every state has several unis, and they are all accredited, with no real substantial difference between them. I think work experience and interests would play a bigger role in considering a candidate for hire for me. Of course, if you are a fresh graduate, you'll be a little light on the former, but one or two challenging summer jobs could help. I would recommend working in your field. If you're doing engineering - get a job at an engineering firm - even if you have to work for nearly nothing - just for the experience you can claim on your cv, presuming what you are doing is in your area of specialization. I attended a couple of smaller unis in my undergraduate days, and enjoyed both of them. There is something to be said for more 'personalized' attention. I also attended a larger state school - with several thousand students (at the time), and it felt like a factory - in which i was one of the 'widgets' being produced. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Pick the uni you actually like more.
    (Original post by hysterria)
    I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there.
    I go to an RG. Last week I got so drunk I passed out in a corridor. After being taken to bed and there being a massive blank thereafter, I woke up the next morning with no memory as to how I got blood on one end of my bedsheets and wee on the other end.

Point is, there is no one type of person that goes to specific unis. Even in RGs you will find idiots like myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Pick the uni you actually like more.
    I go to an RG. Last week I got so drunk I passed out in a corridor. After being taken to bed and there being a massive blank thereafter, I woke up the next morning with no memory as to how I got blood on one end of my bedsheets and wee on the other end.

Point is, there is no one type of person that goes to specific unis. Even in RGs you will find idiots like myself.
    Did you ever find out?

ReputationRep:
    I did the same for my PhD. No regrets.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.