Turn on thread page Beta

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar problem. Got a conditional offer from UCL, but an unconditional offer from HULT. Feel like ghe prestigiousness of UCL will help me later if i get my degree from there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hysterria)
    Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

I'm really unsure of what to do, advice would be more than welcome
    Definitely go with what you prefer! When I applied I got an offer from warwick for biomedical science but it’s not an accredited course! So I went on to pursue a course at a lower league uni which is accredited and I don’t regret it at all! I get way more lab exposure and companies actually offer more jobs to students that go to my uni because we have a lot of lab experience! Especially for sciences, it’s definitelt more about the grade you come out with and the level of experience you have as opposed to what uni you did your undergrad degree at! Because you can go on to do a masters at a top uni if you really wanted too!

Do what you feel is the best option and also consider what you would be interested in doing in the future

ReputationRep:
    Turned down Exeter and Durham unis for Bournemouth University- best decision I made - preferred Bournemouth uni at the open days and they were much more welcoming and supportive with admin such as ucas and accommodation that the more prestigious uni’s

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

I know exactly how you feel! I wasn’t in a place of top 10 type prestigious but my choice were a good 30 apart if not more.

You need to forget the label, because that’s all it is. Yeah maybe it’ll help when applying but so what? Doesn’t mean the location is any better, the people, the accomodation, distance from home?

In my situation, I chose the less prestigious, and I’m so happy I did. The location was just so much better (my course is on a separate campus), the induction day was just so much more inviting.. but that label!? Yeah, so what?

A degree is a degree, and sure getting a 2:1 in let’s say biology from Cambridge is better than from Plymouth; but it’s still a 2:1 in biology!!

Go with your gut campus unis are so much nicer, everywhere is a short walk and it’s a lot more.. friendly? Labels don’t matter

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I go to a non RG uni that is consistently high on uni tables and I love it! The name is not the most important thing, you have to love the uni your looking at. Employers would much rather see a 1st degree at a uni they have never heard of than a 2:2 from an RG. That being said, the higher up the ranking you look, the better the uni is. It's up to you, but you need to love the course you're doing. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter at bachelors level?
    I feel like the RG status only really wins merit regards to thier research rather than teaching.
    At the end of the day is you make the wrong decision based on the RG status alone you might not enjoy your years studying and your grades may suffer. I feel that university choice is very much a personal one that consideration must be given to a multitude of factors, not just reputation. Go with you heart and if you want to undertake research at a later date think about applying for an RG university.
    😊

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. You will still need 2-5 years of experience within the industry as soon as you leave uni to even think about getting in a graduate scheme.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dan_pheby)
    Turned down Exeter and Durham unis for Bournemouth University- best decision I made - preferred Bournemouth uni at the open days and they were much more welcoming and supportive with admin such as ucas and accommodation that the more prestigious uni’s
    Rip

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dankmemesenpai)
    Good luck. You will still need 2-5 years of experience within the industry as soon as you leave uni to even think about getting in a graduate scheme.
    Lol since when

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lol since when

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When have you last looked or even applied for a job. I did so yesterday.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Who do you think graduate schemes are for? Answer: Graduates.

No experience is needed, although if you can get some during your time at university (eg. during the vacations) then so much the better. But no, you don't need 2-5 year's work experience to get on a grad scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HeyI turned down KCL for de montfort in Leicester because of the great incentives package on offer so I say why not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Rip

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As reasons go for not going to a top uni, that's probably the worst. "Lass on reception put emojis in her emails!"

I am sure that is going to impact positively 3 years of uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Who do you think graduate schemes are for? Answer: Graduates.

No experience is needed, although if you can get some during your time at university (eg. during the vacations) then so much the better. But no, you don't need 2-5 year's work experience to get on a grad scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you even searched? I'm just being honest. I've worked entirely through my uni life in differing jobs and even did a few projects. Literally, no one will hire you unless you have one of two things:

1) You know someone in the buisness
    2) You have experience.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Have you even searched? I'm just being honest. I've worked entirely through my uni life in differing jobs and even did a few projects. Literally, no one will hire you unless you have one of two things:

1) You know someone in the buisness
    2) You have experience.
    I'm an employer, not a student. Are you actually applying to Graduate Schemes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And I'd like to add I'm a transfer student from Uni of Sheffield I really don't think the level of education is any better at RG uni's I think it's a personalised decision about individual needs. For me it was a better community feel and more support all round.

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,

I was in the same exact situation a year ago and I chose the less prestigious uni (The University of Buckingham) over the more prestigious (Durham) because I visited and preferred the less prestigious more (both course structure and environment). My friends are very academic and there are people from very different backgrounds so making friends was not an issue. Like, people told I wouldn’t be having enough intellectual conversations but that just isn’t true. I’m intellectually stimulated and supported by the staff. Hope this helps 😊x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I'm an employer, not a student. Are you actually applying to Graduate Schemes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was, until i realized something. Most of these schemes are genuinely not worth it, unless you can move and live out of a suit case for months to years at a time. Luckily for me i may have landed a sweet gig at lab at entry level so no travel for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing Chester over Lancaster for many of the reasons you listed - I'm choosing where I feel I'll be happiest above what the league tables say
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I was, until i realized something. Most of these schemes are genuinely not worth it, unless you can move and live out of a suit case for months to years at a time. Luckily for me i may have landed a sweet gig at lab at entry level so no travel for me.
    Congrats, and good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.