The Student Room Group

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one?

Scroll to see replies

Same same same
Original post by sophie.eleri
Hey!
I was in the same position last year - I actually applied and got an offer to 4 Russell group unis, and decided to go to the only one that was further down the league board. I could've gone to any of them - I worked hard enough and got the grades, so it could have happened. However, I knew that I loved the one I chose, and for me that was enough. I definitely doubted myself to begin with, and I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought 'what if...?' about the other unis. But I am truly happy here - it depends on what is right for you. Leena Norms on youtube (justkissmyfrog) made a video about her opinion on this - she went to Aberystwyth, and she feels the same as me - it's down to you and your preferences! You'll know which one is right for you
I am in my final year of uni now and was in a similar situation to you 3 years ago. I had the option to attend a university in the early 20s or 60s and decided to go to the less prestigious one. I must admit, if I had the opportunity again I would probably go for the more prestigious one for the reasons you mentioned; people will be more academically inclined (which is useful in group work situation) and may be easier for job prospects!

Hope this helps
Go for the more prestigious one for sure! Look at it this way, someone is in the same boat as you are in with exactly the same uni’s; they go for the more prestigious one and you go for the less prestigious one, coming out of uni and you both apply for the same job, they are getting that job over you 90% of the time! But do what makes you happy, that’s just my advice!
Original post by stuarty_b
you both apply for the same job, they are getting that job over you 90% of the time!

wikipedian_protester.png
Original post by hysterria
Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

I'm really unsure of what to do, advice would be more than welcome :smile:

I study engineering at a Russel Group uni, and I sort of regret my decision. Here are the reasons why:
1) Lecturers and other staff are not very helpful, as the uni encourages self study, unlike non RG unis.
2) Also, the workload (coursework etc.) is way more than non RG unis, leaving you with hardly any time for extra-curricular activities. Also the course content is more extensive and hence, more difficult.
3) When it comes to applying for jobs, employers look at how pro-active and well-rounded you are as an individual. So don't think going not going to a RG uni will narrow your job prospects.
4) Don't let the reputation deceive you. Since the RG unis have a lot of money to carry out research, you'd think that they update their course content. But we are unfortunately still taught from PPT slides from 2004! Those slides are 14 years old!
Original post by sunshiine
I study engineering at a Russel Group uni, and I sort of regret my decision. Here are the reasons why:
1) Lecturers and other staff are not very helpful, as the uni encourages self study, unlike non RG unis.
2) Also, the workload (coursework etc.) is way more than non RG unis, leaving you with hardly any time for extra-curricular activities. Also the course content is more extensive and hence, more difficult.
3) When it comes to applying for jobs, employers look at how pro-active and well-rounded you are as an individual. So don't think going not going to a RG uni will narrow your job prospects.
4) Don't let the reputation deceive you. Since the RG unis have a lot of money to carry out research, you'd think that they update their course content. But we are unfortunately still taught from PPT slides from 2004! Those slides are 14 years old!

Which Uni are you studying at, if you don't mind sharing. Also, what where your other options. My son is applying this fall for Electronic and Electrical Engineering. He is considering Imperial, UCL, Southampton, Leeds, Bristol, Bath and Surrey. Any feedback on any of these Unis?
I think there's two main things to consider here.
1. What your career aspirations are? aka does it actually matter where your degree comes from for what you want to do?
2. How far apart the two universities actually are in the rankings over time and how 'prestiguous' the prestigious university actually is?
- If the universities aren't that far apart, go with the one you want to go to. Equally if the prestigious uni is barely in the Russell Group and isn't incredibly reputable then you're probably better off at the other uni.
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
I think there's two main things to consider here.
1. What your career aspirations are? aka does it actually matter where your degree comes from for what you want to do?
2. How far apart the two universities actually are in the rankings over time and how 'prestiguous' the prestigious university actually is?
- If the universities aren't that far apart, go with the one you want to go to. Equally if the prestigious uni is barely in the Russell Group and isn't incredibly reputable then you're probably better off at the other uni.

I think I would like to be a research scientist, but it seems to be a very competitive field, therefore I'm not entirely sure. I probably do want to get my PhD though, so maybe it'd be possible for me to "move up" the rankings, like if I do my undergrad degree at a not so prestigious uni, I might be able to get into a higher ranking university later on? I'm not so sure how all that works though, maybe I should look into it?
The RG uni is a top 10 UK uni, the other one is like 20-30 places further down. However, when it comes to subject rankings, the non RG is a top 10 UK uni and the RG uni is like 15 places down. I'm not sure whether people actually look at subject rankings though!
I think I would like to be a research scientist, but it seems to be a very competitive field, therefore I'm not entirely sure. I probably do want to get my PhD though, so maybe it'd be possible for me to "move up" the rankings, like if I do my undergrad degree at a not so prestigious uni, I might be able to get into a higher ranking university later on? I'm not so sure how all that works though, maybe I should look into it?
The RG uni is a top 10 UK uni, the other one is like 20-30 places further down. However, when it comes to subject rankings, the non RG is a top 10 UK uni and the RG uni is like 15 places down. I'm not sure whether people actually look at subject rankings though!

Honestly, the difference between Aberdeen and Edinburgh is not enough to stress out about this decision. They're both perfectly good universities.

If this was a decision between Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier... however..

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is absolutely nothing to prevent you applying to, say, Cambridge for a PhD with a good BSc from Aberdeen.

https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/cvcnpdpcn/requirements
Original post by Doonesbury
There is absolutely nothing to prevent you applying to, say, Cambridge for a PhD with a good BSc from Aberdeen.

Huh wait, can you go to PhD straight after doing a BSc in the UK? In my home country you need to do a Master's first... Anyway, don't you think they'll prefer students from prestigious universities?

Those are the minimum entry requirements and we know how fierce is the competition when applying to Cambridge.
Original post by Princepieman
Honestly, the difference between Aberdeen and Edinburgh is not enough to stress out about this decision. They're both perfectly good universities.

If this was a decision between Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier... however..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you! I did indeed make sure to avoid applying to any really bad universities such as Napier haha
Original post by EleaGR
Those are the minimum entry requirements and we know how fierce is the competition when applying to Cambridge.

Many other courses say a First. This doesn't...

That department has a roughly 25% offer rate for research postgrads, and other factors will be very important including the research proposal.

Huh wait, can you go to PhD straight after doing a BSc in the UK? In my home country you need to do a Master's first... Anyway, don't you think they'll prefer students from prestigious universities?

Yup. And nope :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Yup. And nope :smile:

So, you mean that if 2 candidates with an equally challenging research proposal and 2:1 degrees are considered equally whether they come from a top tier or a low tier uni... 🤔

What factors do you think they will consider to make such a decision. Because if it were that simple, noone would try top tier unis for undergraduate degrees. I mean if there is no competitive advantage why bother get into Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc. and not attend a lower rank uni to have a simple and pleasant student life for undergrad and not stress yourself?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EleaGR
So, you mean that if 2 candidates with an equally challenging research proposal and 2:1 degrees are considered equally whether they come from a top tier or a low tier uni... 🤔

What factors do you think they will consider to make such a decision. Because if it were that simple, noone would try top tier unis for undergraduate degrees. I mean if there is no competitive advantage why bother get into Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc. and not attend a lower rank uni to have a simple and pleasant student life for undergrad and not stress yourself?

Yes correct for the first paragraph. In a similar way there's no advantage per se for an undergraduate applicant from a private school vs one from a comprehensive. It's up to the student to make the most of the opportunities presented by their institution.
Original post by EleaGR

There IS an advantage, just not in areas that most people care for. E.g. most people are neither interested nor competitive enough to go into environments where attending a top university can boost your chances.

Likewise, most people probably don't care to be among the best of the best networks wise. Or to be intellectually challenged heavily by difficult courseloads. A certain "type" of person fits the profile of your typical top uni student that doesn't really translate to the wider population of students.

Now, this profile isn't only pertinent to people at top unis. There might be equally as motivated, smart and capable people elsewhere who may have not had as rosy a road to university or chose a different university for other factors. These are the outliers that get good grades, get involved and go on to do similar things as their top uni counterparties.

What I'm trying to say really is that it's really about the people.. On average, you'll find more intelligent/driven people at better universities which are qualities employers look for (hence the bias some firms have) but on a individual basis that isn't always the case. On average, you're probably better off at a top uni (due to network effects, signaling, better opportunities etc), but it's not cut and dry all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There IS an advantage, just not in areas that most people care for. E.g. most people are neither interested nor competitive enough to go into environments where attending a top university can boost your chances.

Likewise, most people probably don't care to be among the best of the best networks wise. Or to be intellectually challenged heavily by difficult courseloads. A certain "type" of person fits the profile of your typical top uni student that doesn't really translate to the wider population of students.

Now, this profile isn't only pertinent to people at top unis. There might be equally as motivated, smart and capable people elsewhere who may have not had as rosy a road to university or chose a different university for other factors. These are the outliers that get good grades, get involved and go on to do similar things as their top uni counterparties.

What I'm trying to say really is that it's really about the people.. On average, you'll find more intelligent/driven people at better universities which are qualities employers look for (hence the bias some firms have) but on a individual basis that isn't always the case. On average, you're probably better off at a top uni (due to network effects, signaling, better opportunities etc), but it's not cut and dry all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally agree with you!
Yes correct for the first paragraph. In a similar way there's no advantage per se for an undergraduate applicant from a private school vs one from a comprehensive. It's up to the student to make the most of the opportunities presented by their institution.

PRSOM but thank you for your insights! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I do see myself as someone who fits the typical top uni student profile, my grades are Oxbridge standard and I've been involved in many things at secondary school, so I feel like it would be the logical path to go to a top uni. I've a friend who has the same predicted grades as I do and she's going to Oxford - this I think is putting a lot of pressure on me to go to a top uni as well, which I know is stupid. Sadly I can't afford studying in England so my uni choices were limited to the Scottish unis and I just don't like Edinburgh that much (I would've gone to Glasgow, had they not given me an insanely high offer).

Anyway, to get back to the point, I've been on Aberdeen's website and it seems like they have plenty of opportunities to get involved in things like societies, student media and volunteering, which really excites me! I obviously don't know what university is really going to be like, but I see myself as smart and motivated so I think I'll be able to get a First, especially since I'll be studying a subject that I love :smile:.

All things considered, I think uni prestige indeed doesn't matter as much as I thought it did, and that I should just choose the uni I'd be happiest at. Thanks to everyone who's given their advice, I really appreciate it!
Sorry princepieman is right.Russel group unis are the leading reseach unis and for someone who wants to be a reseacher and do a Phd this id where you should be headed.They get access to most research funding,the academics are leading researchers,and it does have a bearing on how you are regarded.My son went to Oxford and that has had doors flying open to an astounding degree .He has just been to Edinburgh and said everyone is really friendly but also it seemed academically rigorous.You are very right to say competition for research phd places is fierce so I believe you have to get in with the competition as soon as possible.As for extra curricular activities,Edinburgh would have plenty of those too.
I would suggest you try and make another trip to Edinburgh and also consider living in rather than commuting as I did the commuting thing and
felt I missed out on whole uni experience.Another option would be to put down your choices and then if you get great grades reapply for Glasgow next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending