The Student Room Group

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Realitysreflexx

Edingburgh just gives far better life chances! people dont take that into account when choosing universities, but they should!

But it really doesn’t. Edinburgh is more “prestigious” perhaps on league tables, etc. But take 1 student from each uni doing the same subject, both finishing with a first class. Employers won’t favour any of them based on uni prestige. But rather on extra curriculars and work experience.
Original post by howitoughttobe
I disagree for the reasons I have stated in my other posts but you're entitled to your opinion.

And I think the reasons you have provided are incorrect, for the reasons I have provided.
Original post by jestersnow
Dear goodness. You actually believe say, that St Andrews or Bath aren't as good as some RG universities??

RG have higher requirements as part of their value proposition is exclusivity and prestige. This however, as Boliver's report highlights, is often a case of successful marketing and not based on any actual evidence (of which, I've noticed, you've yet to provide any).

FYI also: QUB is actually ranked in the top 15 for Electronic & Electrical Engineering by many of the rankings for universities in the UK, if you put stock in such things.

St Andrews and Bath have the same entry requirements as RG unis. Ok I'm literally done with this level of stupidity.
Original post by Susan Mitchel
But it really doesn’t. Edinburgh is more “prestigious” perhaps on league tables, etc. But take 1 student from each uni doing the same subject, both finishing with a first class. Employers won’t favour any of them based on uni prestige. But rather on extra curriculars and work experience.

I wouldnt be so sure, especially elite jobs do filter candidates by university attended.
Reply 84
Thank you so much for your reply! :smile: You're definitely right, it just feels a bit counter-intuitive to turn down the better uni, especially since they've given me the exact same offer as the other uni haha.

I think I should just go to Aberdeen then, and hopefully graduate with a first (I've no idea how difficult that'll be) and see where I can go from there.
Reply 85
University of Manchester

I find it interesting the only Engineering DoS I can find at Manchester (Dr Christopher Darkin) has co-authored a paper with the title "Evaluating the effectiveness of a “With Industrial Experience” programme in Electrical and Electronic Engineering."

Unfortunately neither the text nor even the summary of the paper appears to be available.
https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/en/publications/evaluating-the-effectiveness-of-a-with-industrial-experience-programme-in-electrical-and-electronic-engineering(03cf60dc-31d6-40aa-ad2e-72f8c86b4ed0).html

However it is uncommon for "prestigious" universities to offer industrial placement years, although Manchester does now. Universities such as Oxbridge, Imperial, Bristol, etc do not.

Where did placements first start being offered? Loughborough (amongst others). i.e. the "unprestigious" universities...

It seems this particular DoS has recognised the benefits of following the teaching practices of the more industry-focussed universities. :beard:
Original post by Doonesbury
Engineering is one of the industries least affected by "prestige" bias.

Employers are looking for good people, especially in engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbf, I think prestige can matter for engineering.. but not in the typical way it does for e.g. finance or law. Some departments have very strong reputations in engineering (e.g. Oil&Gas) but aren't traditionally prestigious universities.

I'd garner that, on average, someone who went to a strong engineering university department will probably get more interviews than someone at a lesser known engineering university department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Princepieman
Tbf, I think prestige can matter for engineering.. but not in the typical way it does for e.g. finance or law. Some departments have very strong reputations in engineering (e.g. Oil&Gas) but aren't traditionally prestigious universities.

I'd garner that, on average, someone who went to a strong engineering university department will probably get more interviews than someone at a lesser known engineering university department.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes indeed if, for example, Shell has had lots of success hiring good O&G engineers from (guessing) Aberdeen, or Brookes, or wherever, then they will be likely to interview more of their grads.

When I was hiring (not engineering) we used to have good success with grads from a very particular course and that university is definitely not "prestigious".
Original post by hysterria
Thank you so much for your reply! :smile: You're definitely right, it just feels a bit counter-intuitive to turn down the better uni, especially since they've given me the exact same offer as the other uni haha.

I think I should just go to Aberdeen then, and hopefully graduate with a first (I've no idea how difficult that'll be) and see where I can go from there.

Take your time deciding - there's no advantage to firming a choice early. Ideally no applicant would make their firm choice until mid April.

And yes - choose the university that suits you. Dropping out or scraping a pass degree at a prestigious university wont do your future prospects any favours. Choose the course and university where you think you will thrive and fulfil your potential.
Reply 89
I wouldnt be so sure, especially elite jobs do filter candidates by university attended.

How many "elite jobs" have you hired for or applied to?
I find it interesting the only Engineering DoS I can find at Manchester (Dr Christopher Darkin) has co-authored a paper with the title "Evaluating the effectiveness of a “With Industrial Experience” programme in Electrical and Electronic Engineering."

Unfortunately neither the text nor even the summary of the paper appears to be available.
https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/en/publications/evaluating-the-effectiveness-of-a-with-industrial-experience-programme-in-electrical-and-electronic-engineering(03cf60dc-31d6-40aa-ad2e-72f8c86b4ed0).html

However it is uncommon for "prestigious" universities to offer industrial placement years, although Manchester does now. Universities such as Oxbridge, Imperial, Bristol, etc do not.

Where did placements first start being offered? Loughborough (amongst others). i.e. the "unprestigious" universities...

It seems this particular DoS has recognised the benefits of following the teaching practices of the more industry-focussed universities. :beard:

Most universities have to, there is absolutely nothing wrong with offering a placement that could potentially make a course less academic is there?

It really just saves students the trouble of work experience, if i wasnt so old, i would have considered a placement year course... or maybe because im am older i should have.

Other then maybe a top 5 uni why shouldnt a placement year especially for a pratical career hurt?
and do you feel this diminishes university prestige?

Yeah that's him! He did an industrial placement during his degree at UMIST (which is the precursor to the current degree at Manchester) so you're clearly talking bs. Considering the industrial placement is completely irrelevant to the degree itself, the fact that less prestigious unis offered them doesn't change the worth of the degree. I imagine they started offering them to persuade students to study there because they knew their degrees weren't as good and they wanted to attract better students. Now that a lot of prestigious universities also offer them, they're back to being worth less.
How many "elite jobs" have you hired for or applied to?

none, but thats not changing my worldview of well, reality. No matter how badly it tickles you.

Really rich though coming from someone obsessed with university tables, yet tries to advocate that university prestige doesnt matter in enployment.
Original post by PQ
Take your time deciding - there's no advantage to firming a choice early. Ideally no applicant would make their firm choice until mid April.

And yes - choose the university that suits you. Dropping out or scraping a pass degree at a prestigious university wont do your future prospects any favours. Choose the course and university where you think you will thrive and fulfil your potential.

ouch, obviously OP is gifted if the admissions team at Edinburgh offered them a place.. Harsh attack implying they might potentially scrap a pass at Edinburgh and do better at more moderately ranked Aberdeen.
And for what it's worth

Aberdeen Engineering grads earn substantially more than Edinburgh grads
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/graduate-outcomes-for-all-subjects-by-university
(median earnings after 3 years - Aberdeen £43,500, Ed £35,200, after 1 year Ab £32,300 ed £29,400 and 5 yrs it's ab £49,000 Ed £36,700)

(and the economist study is a pile of crap with *****y sample sizes - the LEO data looks at HMRC and DWP data to work out earnings)
Reply 95
Yeah that's him! He did an industrial placement during his degree at UMIST (which is the precursor to the current degree at Manchester) so you're clearly talking bs. Considering the industrial placement is completely irrelevant to the degree itself, the fact that less prestigious unis offered them doesn't change the worth of the degree. I imagine they started offering them to persuade students to study there because they knew their degrees weren't as good and they wanted to attract better students. Now that a lot of prestigious universities also offer them, they're back to being worth less.

Ah so he was at UMIST. That makes sense. A very good, albeit "non-prestigious", technology university. Got it. Thanks.

So your "professional" opinion is that a year in industry is worthless? That's interesting. Does Dr Darkin agree?

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but Dr Darkin, who went to a "non-prestigious" university is now a "top academic" with a successful career in industry behind him? Seems to have landed on his feet then despite everything... Please extend my congratulations to your relative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Other then maybe a top 5 uni why shouldnt a placement year especially for a pratical career hurt?
and do you feel this diminishes university prestige?

I don't. But "prestigious" universities tend not to offer them. Regrettably.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ouch, obviously OP is gifted if the admissions team at Edinburgh offered them a place.. Harsh attack implying they might potentially scrap a pass at Edinburgh and do better at more moderately ranked Aberdeen.

Studying somewhere you're unhappy is going to effect your chances of completing a degree and succeeding in getting the results you're capable of.

It's not an attack:rolleyes: it's a reality that we see on TSR over and over - students choosing a university for reasons other than their own happiness/enjoyment of the course and then having to struggle through miserably (doesn't lend itself to high grades) or dropping out and transferring elsewhere.
Ah so he was at UMIST. That makes sense. A very good, albeit "non-prestigious", technology university. Got it. Thanks.

So your "professional" opinion is that a year in industry is worthless? That's interesting. Does Dr Darkin agree?

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but Dr Darkin, who went to a "non-prestigious" university is now a "top academic" with a successful career in industry behind him? Seems to have landed on his feet then despite everything... Please extend my congratulations to your relative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

UMIST was a very prestigious university, hence why it was merged with Victoria University of Manchester and kept on, despite Victoria having it's own technology department.

No, that's not what I said at all. Don't try and twist my words. I think a year in industry is invaluable but it changes nothing about how good the actual degree is.

He went to a very prestigious university in his field. You're literally just talking nonsense now.
I don't. But "prestigious" universities tend not to offer them. Regrettably.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or alas, do you take universities off your "prestigious" list because they offer placements?

i know Nottingham doesnt pass the prestige list (your imaginary theoritical internet article version)

Whereas im sure Warwick gets the nod??? (we have discussed at length before).

Yet oddly Warwick also offers a placement year on lots of its courses.

Point here is the claim that "prestigious" university doesnt generally offer placements is silly.

Quick Reply