Turn on thread page Beta

Dealing with backstabbing work colleagues? watch

How do you deal with backstabbing work colleagues? My workplace is full of these people from everyday store level management to franchise level managers, to coworkers on my level.

Something very serious just happened to me as I left my workplace, I had already clocked out but some masked assailants threatened my life and got access to premises. They have handed cctv to police, but aside from 2 managers involved asking me how i am nobody is bothered.

One colleague even ****ged me off because I took a day off afterwards - saying I was just wanting a day off.

how can I deal with colleagues and a company that has no concern for its workers safety or wellbeing?

ReputationRep:
    Try looking for a new job - it seems like they don't respect you or your wellbeing. Not all places are like that - I think your company is just a bad example.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are like that in the world of work unfortunately......

ReputationRep:
    I saw your last post about whether taking a day off after that incident was legitimate, which it absolutley was. Unfortunately people aren't going to see it from your perspective if they're set on adopting that simple mindset of 'they just wanted a day off.' You can try and justify it to them by telling them that it was a bit of a traumatic thing for you, but I doubt that the majority of your coworkers would understand. Management I would expect should be a bit more forthcoming with something like this, but there's very little you can do if they're being a certain way about it. I'm afraid the only advice I can offer is to bite the bullet, ignore the backstabbing as best you can and don't engage them in conversation about it.

ReputationRep:
    At least you can see their true colours now, just act civil and ignore any *****ing as much as you can

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't be saying that if it happened to them. They sound nasty and immature - I'd ignore all of them (disdainfully) and look for a job elsewhere.

For all those that responded thank you very much.

I'm just in a very vulnerable place right now, i've been looking for a job for ages (even before this happened), as I am sick of the back stabbing, the accumilating work related stress (which was already impacting my mental health), the bullying and my ridiculous unsocial hours schedule.

I do shift work so it is not unusual to work late nights. However I do at least 2-3 closes a week; on top of several 8.30pm finishes. So the majority of my scheduled hours are lates. I have an awkward commute to work so this means I don't get home until 10.30-11pm.

It is getting excessive these late shifts. Most members of staff are meant to do at least 1 a week for consistency and fairness but some hardly do any at all. These are usually the people who live around the corner.

I've had to stick this job out through some of the hardest times in my life, including when my partner was unemployed, at the same time while suffering mental health problems and other stressors. My partner is now back in work so she isnt as reliant on me, and she earns more.

I also dislike where I live, and all the little things that go with that; accent, crime, poverty.

Not to mention im in debt so I can't just pack in my job.

Also im doing a masters which ive grown disinterested with and I am behind with. Both because of content and wellbeing.

This morning for the first time, I woke up with suicidal thoughts. Because I am that miserable with my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How do you deal with backstabbing work colleagues? My workplace is full of these people from everyday store level management to franchise level managers, to coworkers on my level.

Something very serious just happened to me as I left my workplace, I had already clocked out but some masked assailants threatened my life and got access to premises. They have handed cctv to police, but aside from 2 managers involved asking me how i am nobody is bothered.

One colleague even ****ged me off because I took a day off afterwards - saying I was just wanting a day off.

how can I deal with colleagues and a company that has no concern for its workers safety or wellbeing?
    Did you make a thread about this about the day off?
    If so then it's a shame none of them have the sense to give you a bit of time.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For all those that responded thank you very much.

I'm just in a very vulnerable place right now, i've been looking for a job for ages (even before this happened), as I am sick of the back stabbing, the accumilating work related stress (which was already impacting my mental health), the bullying and my ridiculous unsocial hours schedule.

I do shift work so it is not unusual to work late nights. However I do at least 2-3 closes a week; on top of several 8.30pm finishes. So the majority of my scheduled hours are lates. I have an awkward commute to work so this means I don't get home until 10.30-11pm.

It is getting excessive these late shifts. Most members of staff are meant to do at least 1 a week for consistency and fairness but some hardly do any at all. These are usually the people who live around the corner.

I've had to stick this job out through some of the hardest times in my life, including when my partner was unemployed, at the same time while suffering mental health problems and other stressors. My partner is now back in work so she isnt as reliant on me, and she earns more.

I also dislike where I live, and all the little things that go with that; accent, crime, poverty.

Not to mention im in debt so I can't just pack in my job.

Also im doing a masters which ive grown disinterested with and I am behind with. Both because of content and wellbeing.

This morning for the first time, I woke up with suicidal thoughts. Because I am that miserable with my life.
    I really hope you get a better job soon so you can get past the suicidal period. I've been in that mindset before so try to find something positive to keep you going.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.