Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I may be having a /slight/ life crisis. To give you a bit of background info: I’m a yr 12 studying English Lit, Psych & French. I did reasonably well in my GCSEs getting 9,9,6,A*,A*,A,A, B (the two 9s in English, the 6 in maths, so two A**s and a B in letters). I’m not sure what my predicted grades are yet, but I’m hoping for A*AA if I work seriously hard.

I have always loved and been sort of good at writing - but I especially think I have the knack for creative writing; I write a lot online (it’s often fanfiction if that’s of any use to you looool) and in my spare time whenever I can. Naturally I suppose, my parents and teachers are urging me to do English at Uni, but as a subject I don’t enjoy it. It’s my strongest subject probably, but it’s just not my thing - I love to write, not to read somebody else’s writing and analyse it for no real reason...

However I also love Languages. French is my most enjoyable subject and I’d love to be able to learn more languages too - this is where Japanese sort of comes into the mix. I was researching Unis and found UEA did a split French/Japanese BA which I was instantly drawn to - I’ve always been open to the idea of learning a challenging language and culturally Japan is a place of real interest for me. A few weeks back my school took a trip to Cambridge - where I discovered have a Japanese Studies course, with a relatively low applicant rate. I thought about it a lot. I’ve been reading all sorts of books and watching all sorts of videos about Japan and I think part of me is seriously telling me to go for it. The problem there is, options for language graduates - particularly languages that are less spoken - are limited to either teaching or translation, neither of which I can see myself doing. I’m not a very well-travelled person so the idea of living in an entirely new country is incredibly exciting, though. I would love to be able to have that opportunity.

In short - what do you think is my best option? Do I take a risk for something difficult that I might end up loving or play it safe with a guaranteed job because of a degree I didn’t enjoy? I’m seriously hung up.

I know I have a while to decide but I’m starting to panic a little. What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    go for the japanese, somethings telling you to do it so give it a shot!

ReputationRep:
    Go for French/Japanese or Japanese - this is clearly where your interests lie. You want to be motivated into studying your degree and gaining top marks, to help pave the way for a good future. Depending on where your career interests lie, you can use this degree to apply for graduate schemes (a lot take any discipline with a 2:1 or over) or jobs that are related (like translation jobs). Language degrees do hold a lot of value.

In terms of the creative writing, do this on the side. You could look at e-book publishing, writing for magazines or making a blog, joining a writing related society at university. An English degree which has a lot of analysis doesn't sound like it would suit you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Go for French/Japanese or Japanese - this is clearly where your interests lie. You want to be motivated into studying your degree and gaining top marks, to help pave the way for a good future. Depending on where your career interests lie, you can use this degree to apply for graduate schemes (a lot take any discipline with a 2:1 or over) or jobs that are related (like translation jobs). Language degrees do hold a lot of value.

In terms of the creative writing, do this on the side. You could look at e-book publishing, writing for magazines or making a blog, joining a writing related society at university. An English degree which has a lot of analysis doesn't sound like it would suit you.
    Thank you! I don’t think it would suit me either :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARO28)
    go for the japanese, somethings telling you to do it so give it a shot!
    I just might!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.