Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I may be having a /slight/ life crisis. To give you a bit of background info: I’m a yr 12 studying English Lit, Psych & French. I did reasonably well in my GCSEs getting 9,9,6,A*,A*,A,A, B (the two 9s in English, the 6 in maths, so two A**s and a B in letters). I’m not sure what my predicted grades are yet, but I’m hoping for A*AA if I work seriously hard.

I have always loved and been sort of good at writing - but I especially think I have the knack for creative writing; I write a lot online (it’s often fanfiction if that’s of any use to you looool) and in my spare time whenever I can. Naturally I suppose, my parents and teachers are urging me to do English at Uni, but as a subject I don’t enjoy it. It’s my strongest subject probably, but it’s just not my thing - I love to write, not to read somebody else’s writing and analyse it for no real reason...

However I also love Languages. French is my most enjoyable subject and I’d love to be able to learn more languages too - this is where Japanese sort of comes into the mix. I was researching Unis and found UEA did a split French/Japanese BA which I was instantly drawn to - I’ve always been open to the idea of learning a challenging language and culturally Japan is a place of real interest for me. A few weeks back my school took a trip to Cambridge - where I discovered have a Japanese Studies course, with a relatively low applicant rate. I thought about it a lot. I’ve been reading all sorts of books and watching all sorts of videos about Japan and I think part of me is seriously telling me to go for it. The problem there is, options for language graduates - particularly languages that are less spoken - are limited to either teaching or translation, neither of which I can see myself doing. I’m not a very well-travelled person so the idea of living in an entirely new country is incredibly exciting, though. I would love to be able to have that opportunity.

In short - what do you think is my best option? Do I take a risk for something difficult that I might end up loving or play it safe with a guaranteed job because of a degree I didn’t enjoy? I’m seriously hung up.

I know I have a while to decide but I’m starting to panic a little. What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    go for the japanese, somethings telling you to do it so give it a shot!

ReputationRep:
    Go for French/Japanese or Japanese - this is clearly where your interests lie. You want to be motivated into studying your degree and gaining top marks, to help pave the way for a good future. Depending on where your career interests lie, you can use this degree to apply for graduate schemes (a lot take any discipline with a 2:1 or over) or jobs that are related (like translation jobs). Language degrees do hold a lot of value.

In terms of the creative writing, do this on the side. You could look at e-book publishing, writing for magazines or making a blog, joining a writing related society at university. An English degree which has a lot of analysis doesn't sound like it would suit you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Go for French/Japanese or Japanese - this is clearly where your interests lie. You want to be motivated into studying your degree and gaining top marks, to help pave the way for a good future. Depending on where your career interests lie, you can use this degree to apply for graduate schemes (a lot take any discipline with a 2:1 or over) or jobs that are related (like translation jobs). Language degrees do hold a lot of value.

In terms of the creative writing, do this on the side. You could look at e-book publishing, writing for magazines or making a blog, joining a writing related society at university. An English degree which has a lot of analysis doesn't sound like it would suit you.
    Thank you! I don’t think it would suit me either :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARO28)
    go for the japanese, somethings telling you to do it so give it a shot!
    I just might!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.