The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels

I am unsure of what A-Levels to pick as I don't know what career path I want to go down. The subjects I like doing at GCSE are sports, science, technology, and history. However my passions are sport, music and helping people. What advice (if any) can you give me
When it comes to picking A-levels when you are unsure the best bet is to pick the subjects you most enjoy/ are good at. At the end of the day they will all make you want to rip your hair out and don't fully represent what the subject is. I can't give too much advice, but try and find subjects that relate...e.g. biology and sports science.
Reply 2
Thankyou for the help. Need all the help I can get!
If you want to keep lots of doors open, try picking 1/2 facilitating subjects maybe?
Original post by NB0310
I am unsure of what A-Levels to pick as I don't know what career path I want to go down. The subjects I like doing at GCSE are sports, science, technology, and history. However my passions are sport, music and helping people. What advice (if any) can you give me

Consider what you’d like to do past A-Levels, which can give you an indicator as to what subjects are the best fit.

Do you have a university course, or particular career in mind? Does that field of work involve a degree that requires certain A-Levels?

Once you know (roughly) where you’d like your future to be, it helps to know what can help you get there by looking at entry requirements, or useful skills within successful job applicants.
Reply 5
I don't actually know what future career i want. I have done reams of research, I've even taken quizzes to help me decide potential career paths.
My major problem is that i like multiple subjects/topics but which are all quite different to each other and don't really know where to apply them e.g. sports and music are completely astray from each other in the sense of career paths.
Original post by NB0310
I don't actually know what future career i want. I have done reams of research, I've even taken quizzes to help me decide potential career paths.
My major problem is that i like multiple subjects/topics but which are all quite different to each other and don't really know where to apply them e.g. sports and music are completely astray from each other in the sense of career paths.

Try and pick subjects that could lead to either.
For example you could pick music as 1 a-level. You could also pick biology and sports science/P.E. or something.
Look on both career options on unis websites to see if theres any specific subjects they both require.
Original post by NB0310

One could argue in some respect both are about performing, and it may be you prefer more practical things were you get the opportunity to physical move and do something - even if the movements are very small and precise as in music, or larger and more powerful as in sport (well I guess it depends on the sport). So perhaps not so dissimilar after all. Both however can well be pursued and excelled in even alongside formal academic study, and need not necessarily form part of that study.

If you have academic interests and ambitions as well, this may be worth considering; if you wanted to go to university for example, there are ample opportunities to pursue both sport and music regardless of what you study. You may of course want to formally study those areas academically - consider what you like about those areas, and why you like them. if you aren't hugely keen on the music theory and exercise biology type areas, then this may not be the case - or you may enjoy one academically but not the other.

This applies to all of your subjects though - think about what it is you like about them. For history, do you specifically enjoy learning about historical events, a particular period or periods or region or region, or do you more generally enjoy expressing yourself in long form prose or spending time researching things you don't know about? What is it about technology you enjoy - learning the theories about how the world around you works, or building things yourself? Both?

As far as helping people goes, this is pretty broad and there are many roles you can do this in. Arguably anything outside of business/finance you will probably help people in some capacity...

Quick Reply

Latest