Turn on thread page Beta

Should i decline my offer for medicine from Oxford? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was very fortunate to be offered a place to study Medicine in Oxford but i don't know if i should accept it. The reason being is that i love to study classics especially Latin and am thinking about declining my offer this year and apply for classics in Oxford next year. However i don't know if i should do it.

I am Scottish student who got six upper band As in Higher (English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, biology and Latin. And this year i am predicted for As in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Due to external influence from teachers and mostly family, i didn't chose to do Latin.

Since the requirement to classics in oxford is 2A in Advanced higher which must include greek or latin. I am planning to study 3 advances highers again (English, Latin and some other subject) outside school.

However i do not know if this is good idea and if i will be able to get into Oxford again for classics. And i do not know how to tell the school and my parents.

ReputationRep:
    I have always loved latin from young age and i went out of my way to study it via online and with a tutor (from our local church). I also learned all the romance languages so that my pronunciation of Latin will be accurate. However my family thinks its dead language and there is no job opportunity for it and doing medicine will be better thing for my life.

ReputationRep:
    follow your desire or you will regret it in the end

ReputationRep:
    I'm always mixed about cases like this. The traditional advice is always to follow your passion but I don't agree in all cases. Sometimes you need to just do something you enjoy thats employable. You can still pursue the thing you love in your free time.

If you enjoy medicine but just slightly prefer classics, it might be worth doing medicine and then studying classics as a hobby in your free time. It's not a clear cut decision to follow your passion. But don't do something you don't enjoy for the rest of your life. You need to find a balance and only you know what will work for you.

Maybe try discussing it with parents or friends. Somebody who understands you better than random people on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should study medicine because you put so much effort and hard work into it and it payed off since you got an offer from Oxford. You'll be a brilliant doctor. You can still continue with latin as a hobby or join/start a society. And I'm not sure if this is available maybe you could do an intercalated bsc in latin/classics?

However it is up to you in the end.

ReputationRep:
    normally i would say go with classics as your passion. however in this case i will say accept your oxford medicine offer and spend at least two terms studying it to see if it's still what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    I'm always mixed about cases like this. The traditional advice is always to follow your passion but I don't agree in all cases. Sometimes you need to just do something you enjoy thats employable. You can still pursue the thing you love in your free time.

If you enjoy medicine but just slightly prefer classics, it might be worth doing medicine and then studying classics as a hobby in your free time. It's not a clear cut decision to follow your passion. But don't do something you don't enjoy for the rest of your life. You need to find a balance and only you know what will work for you.

Maybe try discussing it with parents or friends. Somebody who understands you better than random people on the internet.
    I can't talk to my parents because they are amendment that i do medicine. Literally all the people around me to do medicine, however reading from the other posts in TSR, i saw there are many people who regret doing it and think they wasted there life.

ReputationRep:
    Go for what you want to do-but keep in mind of what the future holds for each careeer
    Don't just go for oxford as it is prestigious and keep your medicine offer solely based on that. If you start the course, I'd want to stick for it-do you really want to drop out?
    Though keep in mind that if you were to apply for classic next year, you may not get in and have to study elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Have you researched opportunities to intercalate in Latin? I think Cam does it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There is a version of Lit. Hum. (Classics at Oxford) which does not require Greek or Latin - it takes one year longer however.

In any case, you should pursue what you enjoy and what you will want to do in the long term. It's would be unfair on both yourself and your prospective future patients to study medicine and become a physician or surgeon just to hate what you're doing and have little investment in it. There is always graduate entry medicine if you change your mind again, and you have the necessary scientific background and not all GEM courses require a STEM degree.

It would probably be unusual to intercalate in Classics - not least because "Classics" is generally understood to be the study of the languages and various cultural things in the original language. Having missed out on 2-3 years of Latin (and Greek) tuition at the undergraduate level, you would not be able to do realistically...you may be able to pursue something akin to Classical Civilisation/Studies where the relevant texts etc are studied in translation, but this would certainly be an ad hoc and unusual arrangement (and again, this is relevant only to Cambridge and other universities with formal external intercalation - Oxfords medical course includes similar activities but it's internally organised, to my understanding, and you don't "interacalate" outside of it, either within Oxford or at another uni). While Classics or Classical Civilisation is a bit dubious, there would undoubtedly be options in some courses to intercalate in the History and Philosophy of Science (and Medicine/in Society) where you could focus on the classical era specifically.

I'm inclined to recommend you apply for Classics if that's what you really want to do - pursuing the relevant languages to Advanced Higher may be a useful path to spend the year in which you are otherwise having a forced "gap year", although it's not necessary by any means. That said, if you genuinely want to pursue medicine as well for your own reasons and not due to any sense of obligation/wanting to get a "good job" or similar, then you would certainly be in a fine place to indulge your classical interests during your medical course, and there are no doubt ways you can continue to develop your interest in the area while a trainee/junior doctor, if that's how you would want to spend your free time.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.