Turn on thread page Beta

ex-student/teacher relationship? watch

a bit of background info: I’m 19 and a few months away from finishing my time at college (I did a year of sixth form prior to this, hence my age)
    a teacher on my course is only a few years older than me, and always makes extra effort to talk to me or email me about our interests (which are practically the same)

as I’m about to leave the college, would a possible relationship be illegal? we previously spoke about staying in touch after I leave college

Thoughts?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If it is only a few years, then probably not illegal but still weird to everyone else

ReputationRep:
    stay in touch and see where it leads.

it's not like you're 15/16 and leaving school.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    a bit of background info: I’m 19 and a few months away from finishing my time at college (I did a year of sixth form prior to this, hence my age)
    a teacher on my course is only a few years older than me, and always makes extra effort to talk to me or email me about our interests (which are practically the same)

as I’m about to leave the college, would a possible relationship be illegal? we previously spoke about staying in touch after I leave college

Thoughts?
    Obviously at the minute, while you are still at college, its illegal as you are a student and he id a teacher and is in a position of trust.
    How much older than you is he?
    If i were you id be careful. Keep in contact by all means, but dont expect anything to come of it. If it does then it does, but him staying in contact may just be to see how you get on after college (with jobs or unis or whatever) or to share common interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Obviously at the minute, while you are still at college, its illegal as you are a student and he id a teacher and is in a position of trust.
    How much older than you is he?
    If i were you id be careful. Keep in contact by all means, but dont expect anything to come of it. If it does then it does, but him staying in contact may just be to see how you get on after college (with jobs or unis or whatever) or to share common interests.

she's 19

once the younger person is 18+ I don't think it's illegal anymore, just heavily frowned upon/a sackable offence.

18 is the cut off point.

I mean If a 25 year old college resist girl had a relationship with her 28 year old male teacher ...is that illegal? ...I don't think it is
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ANM775)
    she's 19

once the younger person is 18+ I don't think it's illegal anymore, just heavily frowned upon/a sackable offence.

18 is the cut off point.

I mean If a 25 year old college resist girl had a relationship with her 28 year old male teacher ...is that illegal? ...I don't think it is
    I know that she is 19- i saw the original post.
    I was asking how old the teacher is.
    I was enquiring about how much of an age gap there is.

Thanks for the advice! he’s probably (at max) 27
    he was the one to bring up he idea of staying in touch, which he never makes a point of talking about to other students
    he also makes a deal out of taking pictures of artwork I make (I’m at an art college)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I know that she is 19- i saw the original post.
    I was asking how old the teacher is.
    I was enquiring about how much of an age gap there is.

I must be seeing things lol, I could of sworn your post said something different the first time I read it

my bad.........

he’s (at max) 27, and was the one who mentioned staying in touch (which he doesn’t ever suggest to other students)
    also, he made a big deal of making a piece of art I did for him his phone background (as he was stopping teaching our level to teach the level below)

ReputationRep:
    8 years is nothing.
    I met my partner when I was 20, been dating since 21 and he's 8 years older. we've been together nearly 16 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    he’s (at max) 27, and was the one who mentioned staying in touch (which he doesn’t ever suggest to other students)
    also, he made a big deal of making a piece of art I did for him his phone background (as he was stopping teaching our level to teach the level below)
    Mehhhh....
    Tread carefully. Definitely wait until you have graduated, out the door, no need to see each other again unless you want to, finished.

And be prepared for a bit of embarrassment if you've misjudged the situation.

I know teachers and I'm sure they say that there has to be a period of time where you can't contact students after they have finished school. This is due to the fact that if you spoke/went on a date one month after you finished your exams, what's to say it wasn't going on whilst you were at college?

I'm not saying you'd accuse him of anything but if you were to, it'd be too easy to say it'd happened during your time as his pupil. It'd be a breach of his trust that the school and pupils have in him as a teacher, and, like someone above has already said, frowned upon and most likely sackable.

I totally see where you’re coming from:-)

ReputationRep:
    8 years isn't that big of an age gap but you're still quite young and he used to be your teacher, so there will probably be a power imbalance

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, 8 years isn't too bad, but you should be careful regardless, stay in touch but focus on yourself first and if a few months down the line you decide to see him, cool. Just wait until you finish your school and you are out of there for at least a couple of months. And one last thing, always be aware of everything, as older guys tend to think the younger you are, the more naive you are too.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.