Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'in order to survive, deception is necessary for all the characters'. To what extent for you agree with this view of a streetcar named desire?

anyone have any good arguments or quotes for this 40 mark practice question. any good critics also?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by happybunny8032)
    'in order to survive, deception is necessary for all the characters'. To what extent for you agree with this view of a streetcar named desire?

anyone have any good arguments or quotes for this 40 mark practice question. any good critics also?
    Though it's been a while since I've studied the play, I can think of a few places to help you get started:

The over-arching theme of New World VS Old World; Blanche VS Stanley - she lives in a world surrounded in deception and ultimately fails, while Stanley is essentially out in the open until scene 10 and it's aftermath. Does this mean that deception no longer provides an advantage in the modern world of the 1940s? Moreover, Blanche's move to a mental asylum in the denouement may also imply that living with deception - as a person - is a dangerous thing to do and

You could also link this to Stella, and her own deception. She believes Blanche about what happened in scene 10, and how she "Couldn't believe her and go on living with Stanley" (quote paraphrasing; Scene 11) Does this show that deception, perhaps through ignorance is good? (could contrast with how she's remaining to stay with Stanley, who, in scene 3 is the opposite of kind to her.) This compares to Alan - Blanche's husband, as once his deception was revealed to Blanche, as explained in her analepsis to Mitch, it began to lead to his downfall and ultimately his death.

I hope this helps - and makes some element of sense

ReputationRep:
    EsteloftheEyrie has some good points for you, so I wouldn't care to add much.

The play is the story of various frictions and confrontations between the characters, none of them particularly belong together and Blanche doesn't belong in the setting she finds herself. All of the characters are forced to maintain a false view of the other, and of their circumstances, in order to overlook these facts.

Here's a few quotes that may help get you thinking about the characters in that way.

"I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people.
    I do misrepresent things. I don't tell truths. I tell what ought to be truth." - Blanche

"And wasn't we happy together? Wasn't it all okay till she showed here? And wasn't we happy together?" - Stanley
    (No - no they were not.)

“I know I fib a good deal. After all, a woman's charm is fifty per cent illusion,
    but when a thing is important I tell the truth." - Blanche

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much!!!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.