The Student Room Group

I Really need help with these ionic equations please!!

I'm stuck on how to write ionic equations for these. My teacher confused me!

Ca(NO3)2+2Na= 2NaNO3+Ca

FeSO4+Zn= ZnSO4+Fe

2HCl+Fe= FeCl2+H2

2HNO3+Mg= Mg(NO3)2+H2

Na2CO3+ 2K= K2CO3+2Na
I'll give you the steps, but if you're still struggling then, DM me and I'll try helping.

1) Breaking down compounds in aqueous solution into their ionic form, e.g. FeSO4 becomes Fe(2+) + SO4(2-) and ZnSO4 becomes Zn(2+) + SO4(2-)

2) Look at your equation. There should be an ion that is present in both the reactants and products. In the case above, it's SO4 (2-). Cross this out on both sides.

3) You should be left with something like Fe(2+, aq) + Zn(s) ------------> Zn(2+, aq) + Fe(s)
Easiest thing would be take a pause, think about what things changed from ions to atoms and vice versa and thus are included in the ionic equation.
Original post by Miakat1602
I'm stuck on how to write ionic equations for these. My teacher confused me!

Ca(NO3)2+2Na= 2NaNO3+Ca

FeSO4+Zn= ZnSO4+Fe

2HCl+Fe= FeCl2+H2

2HNO3+Mg= Mg(NO3)2+H2

Na2CO3+ 2K= K2CO3+2Na

Split all the terms in the equation into their relevant ions, i.e for Ca(NO3)2, split it up into Ca 2+ and NO3-. If you are stuck, have a look for what ions make up the specific compounds.

Remember, when balancing an equation, you must always have the same number of atoms/ions on either side of the arrow/= sign.
Also remember, that for a compound, you must aim for it to be neutral (have a charge of 0) overall.

Try drawing out beakers underneath each component of the reaction and stating what ions you have. From there, balance the charges. For example, with Na2CO3, you need 2 Na+ charges, and 1 CO3 2- charge, as the overall charge is 0.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest