How long should I apply for accommodation for (contract wise)? Watch

Wikia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm hoping to study International Relations at King's next year and I've been looking around at accommodation. I noticed that you can rent for different periods of time (40 weeks, 48 and 51 or whatever) and I was wondering what any KCL students would recommend? I've checked my term dates and it looks as if my term only runs from September - May, however I also have a two week period of examinations in August so I'm confused as to how long I should rent it out for. I feel like there's no point renting it out for a year because my term will technically end in May but I'll still have to come back for a week or so of examinations, but then I'm wondering where will I stay then? I mean I could just commute there but I feel like that would be really expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer to take the lower contracted weeks since it works out cheaper (in some cases), but any advice from King's students is much appreciated!
imherpacifier
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey, the August examinations are for resits so I'd say get accommodation up until May. If you need to come back for a resit it'd be better paying for one night's accom in a hotel rather than extra months of rent.
Wikia
Rep:
?
(Original post by imherpacifier)
Hey, the August examinations are for resits so I'd say get accommodation up until May. If you need to come back for a resit it'd be better paying for one night's accom in a hotel rather than extra months of rent.
Oh damn okay, thank you so much!
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Wikia)
Oh damn okay, thank you so much!
As the user said above, 'term times' are always used loosely and encompass 'Examination Period 3 - August'. Which is simply for if you're taking exams again. Thus I don't think it would be economically sound to extend your contract beyond a smaller one
Wikia
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrDystopia)
As the user said above, 'term times' are always used loosely and encompass 'Examination Period 3 - August'. Which is simply for if you're taking exams again. Thus I don't think it would be economically sound to extend your contract beyond a smaller one
Thank you for the advice! I've been looking at some of the schemes and I really want a chance at KAAS (so that my rent is only £169/week rather t han the typical rents that are over £200). My family income is probably somewhere around £25,000 so I think I'm applicable, however I couldn't help that notice that they said they only offered it to up to 700 undergraduates, so I had a few questions. Firstly, how many undergraduates are there at KCL? (So at least I know my chances.) And do you have any experience with KAAS? It would make my life 10x easier since I wouldn't have to worry as much financially about the costs of living, because my maintenance loan really isn't going to be that huge when I consider the spending on rent.

Also, I haven't firmed King's yet as I'm not 100% sure yet where I want to pick as my insurance (though I know I want to firm King's). Is KAAS first come, first serve? Thank you in advance, I understand if you may not be able to answer some of these questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (176)
67.43%
No (85)
32.57%

Watched Threads