Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to study International Relations at King's next year and I've been looking around at accommodation. I noticed that you can rent for different periods of time (40 weeks, 48 and 51 or whatever) and I was wondering what any KCL students would recommend? I've checked my term dates and it looks as if my term only runs from September - May, however I also have a two week period of examinations in August so I'm confused as to how long I should rent it out for. I feel like there's no point renting it out for a year because my term will technically end in May but I'll still have to come back for a week or so of examinations, but then I'm wondering where will I stay then? I mean I could just commute there but I feel like that would be really expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer to take the lower contracted weeks since it works out cheaper (in some cases), but any advice from King's students is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, the August examinations are for resits so I'd say get accommodation up until May. If you need to come back for a resit it'd be better paying for one night's accom in a hotel rather than extra months of rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imherpacifier)
    Hey, the August examinations are for resits so I'd say get accommodation up until May. If you need to come back for a resit it'd be better paying for one night's accom in a hotel rather than extra months of rent.
    Oh damn okay, thank you so much!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Wikia)
    Oh damn okay, thank you so much!
    As the user said above, 'term times' are always used loosely and encompass 'Examination Period 3 - August'. Which is simply for if you're taking exams again. Thus I don't think it would be economically sound to extend your contract beyond a smaller one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    As the user said above, 'term times' are always used loosely and encompass 'Examination Period 3 - August'. Which is simply for if you're taking exams again. Thus I don't think it would be economically sound to extend your contract beyond a smaller one
    Thank you for the advice! I've been looking at some of the schemes and I really want a chance at KAAS (so that my rent is only £169/week rather t han the typical rents that are over £200). My family income is probably somewhere around £25,000 so I think I'm applicable, however I couldn't help that notice that they said they only offered it to up to 700 undergraduates, so I had a few questions. Firstly, how many undergraduates are there at KCL? (So at least I know my chances.) And do you have any experience with KAAS? It would make my life 10x easier since I wouldn't have to worry as much financially about the costs of living, because my maintenance loan really isn't going to be that huge when I consider the spending on rent.

Also, I haven't firmed King's yet as I'm not 100% sure yet where I want to pick as my insurance (though I know I want to firm King's). Is KAAS first come, first serve? Thank you in advance, I understand if you may not be able to answer some of these questions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.