The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Jordan B Peterson - is he the dad you never had?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Haviland-Tuf
So it is no surprise the majority of his supporters and indeed those who purchased Jordan's self-help book "12 Rules for Life: An antidote to chaos" are radicalised young men. Is he the father figure that these young men are lacking and is his popularity explained by him filling a void in the minds/hearts of his followers. I've looked at the 12 rules and they're not ground breaking and these rules which he says is a framework for success are basic stuff that any father worth his salt would have taught his children before they leave for university.

The 12 rules are listed below judge for yourself:
1. sort your self out
2. clean your room
3. buckle up
4. recognise that life suffering
5. rescue your father
6. be a hero
7. Take the past and future authoring programs
8. Be humble about what you don't know
9. Give your life meaning
10. tell the truth
11. Don't bother the bad crowd
12. Adjust and adapt

Is he scamming our young men? Are they sheep? Do they have a good relationship with their father's?

In what way are the people follow him ‘radicalised’ - seems a somewhat extreme word to use.
Original post by TrelaiBoy
A lot of young men feel ignored or out of place and he speaks to them. Simple.

Poor privileged white, middle class men :frown:
Original post by mkxanders
I'm studying psychology, couldn't agree more with you. Simple everyday things people take for granted are in fact very serious matters in psychology, and are discussed on a daily basis.

If you studied Psychology you should disagree with his principles as he abuses psychological research for his own agenda.
Reply 103
Original post by Waldorf67
If you studied Psychology you should disagree with his principles as he abuses psychological research for his own agenda.

Give us an example of that

Only marxists think that privilege is just a matter of money. Peterson is making the point that young men feel out of place in society due to a culture which doesn't teach them nor values responsibility. He's just telling them to grow up and accept responsibility for their potential to make the world a better place. What's wrong with that?
Original post by Joe312
Only marxists think that privilege is just a matter of money. Peterson is making the point that young men feel out of place in society due to a culture which doesn't teach them nor values responsibility. He's just telling them to grow up and accept responsibility for their potential to make the world a better place. What's wrong with that?

What a narrow way of thinking, to believe that the only disadvantage of the working classes and minority races is money. And to think that money has no effect on other aspects of life.
What's the problem with his 12 rules (as you've written them? Haven't read the book). Are you suggesting that we should aspire to the opposite?
What a narrow way of thinking, to believe that the only disadvantage of the working classes and minority races is money. And to think that money has no effect on other aspects of life.

Yes I agree that's a narrow way of thinking, did you think that's what I was saying?

Great job at adding to this discussion by completely ignoring any issue a white man may have! Great patronising tone as well

PS. You've just proved my point with this comment
I'm still trying to find out what is wrong with these:

1. sort your self out
2. clean your room
3. buckle up
5. rescue your father
6. be a hero
10. tell the truth
12. Adjust and adapt
Original post by Medrat
I'm still trying to find out what is wrong with these:

1. sort your self out
2. clean your room
3. buckle up
5. rescue your father
6. be a hero
10. tell the truth
12. Adjust and adapt

Those aren't the actual rules. OP just made them up for some reason. Another user has posted the actual rules/chapters a page or two earlier in the thread.
These? What's wrong with standing up straight, pursuing what is meaningful or making friends with people who want the best for you? Seriously, I must be missing something. My question still stands - what's wrong with these rules?

RULE 1 / Stand up straight with your shoulders back
RULE 2 / Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
RULE 3 / Make friends with people who want the best for you
RULE 4 / Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
RULE 5 / Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
RULE 6 / Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
RULE 7 / Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
RULE 8 / Tell the truth—or, at least, don’t lie
RULE 9 / Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t
RULE 10 / Be precise in your speech
RULE 11 / Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
RULE 12 / Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street
Original post by Medrat
These? What's wrong with standing up straight, pursuing what is meaningful or making friends with people who want the best for you? Seriously, I must be missing something. My question still stands - what's wrong with these rules?

RULE 1 / Stand up straight with your shoulders back
RULE 2 / Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
RULE 3 / Make friends with people who want the best for you
RULE 4 / Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
RULE 5 / Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
RULE 6 / Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
RULE 7 / Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
RULE 8 / Tell the truth—or, at least, don’t lie
RULE 9 / Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t
RULE 10 / Be precise in your speech
RULE 11 / Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
RULE 12 / Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

People don't like Jordan Peterson because he's anti-PC. Everything he says and does is automatically bad.

Anyway, I disagree with rules 11 and 12. The kids who skateboard in my neighbourhood are ****ing annoying, and I'm cautious to pet strange cats because they could be diseased or vicious!
He challenges a lot of people's world view -> gets hated on.

People also tend to stroke with large brushes - there's one thing you don't like about him, you hate all about him. Either he is your friend or your enemy.

Personally, I don't like all the conclusions he draws, or agree with everything he says, but he always puts forth an argument and engages people. Can't be said of most of his opponents.
Original post by Napp
He had a mildly entertaining interview but aside from that and his standing up to the Translobbyists he's a bit of a nobody.

A nobody? Yes, if only he could aspire to your lofty achievements.
Reply 115
Original post by Just my opinion
A nobody? Yes, if only he could aspire to your lofty achievements.

If only indeed.
if hr's a nobody, then how come his rules are pretty sound and everyone's talking about him?
Reply 117
Watch JBPs interview with Rubin where he exlpains what each rule is about.
RULE 1 / Stand up straight with your shoulders back NO, I WILL NOT
RULE 2 / Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping HOW DARE YOU!
RULE 3 / Make friends with people who want the best for you WHAT??!!*$^
RULE 4 / Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today PREPOSTEROUS
RULE 5 / Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them THE CHEEK OF THE MAN TO EVEN SUGGEST IT
RULE 6 / Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world AND WHY WOULD I DO THAT?
RULE 7 / Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient) NOPE. NEVER. I WANT MY LIFE TO BE MEANINGLESS
RULE 8 / Tell the truth—or, at least, don’t lie HOW CAN YOU EVEN SUGGEST SUCH A THING, YOU HORRIBLE PERSON
RULE 9 / Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t REALLY? BUT EVERYONE IS STUPID, APART FROM ME, DIDN'T YOU KNOW?
RULE 10 / Be precise in your speech ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH? WAFFLING IS GREAT
RULE 11 / Do not bother children when they are skateboarding YOU MEAN LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE TO JUST GET ON WITH THINGS? WORST THING I'VE EVER HEARD.
RULE 12 / Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street YOU MEAN THINK ABOUT OTHER LIVING THINGS? PAH.

You are right. The man is clearly an idiot.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Death and Taxes
He is an anti-PC version of Slavoj Zizek. It seems a lot of easily influenced men can not see beyond the main quality he shares with Zizek, namely pseudo-intellectualism.

You suggesting that psychology is a pseudo science? With all his published papers, he certainly isn't a pseudo-intellectual. He's not the best when it comes to politics, that doesn't mean he is a pseudo-intellectual though, after all, he is a professor of psychology, not politics. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending