Turn on thread page Beta

Split Contribution Funding watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a triplet living in a single parent home. I have heard about split contribution funding via student finance, and as all three of us are due to start uni this September (2018) I would like to know more information about how to move forward. Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by caitlineve)
    Hi, I am a triplet living in a single parent home. I have heard about split contribution funding via student finance, and as all three of us are due to start uni this September (2018) I would like to know more information about how to move forward. Thank you!
    Hi caitlineve,

When there is more than one student from the same household in higher education we will deduct £1130 for each additional student from the total amount of household income declared - this is known as a 'Disregard' or split contribution.
    Student Finance would automatically assess this when you and your sibling apply for means tested funding and your parent provides their income details to assess your applications.
    If you have not already applied for funding you can apply online or send in a PN1 application for 2018/19.

Thanks

Louise
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi caitlineve,

When there is more than one student from the same household in higher education we will deduct £1130 for each additional student from the total amount of household income declared - this is known as a 'Disregard' or split contribution.
    Student Finance would automatically assess this when you and your sibling apply for means tested funding and your parent provides their income details to assess your applications.
    If you have not already applied for funding you can apply online or send in a PN1 application for 2018/19.

Thanks

Louise
    That isn't how the guidance describes split contribution.

As well as the disregard http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m...y-1718-v21.pdf states
    "Where the same household income is used to assess the amount of an award for which two people qualify, the contribution payable in respect of the eligible student is divided by the number of such persons"

So for the OP and their siblings SFE would work out the household contribution (having taken away the disregard from the income for siblings) and then divide that contribution by three before deducting it from the maximum loan available to each sibling.

The case studies are very clear on this but there's been a number of students posting on TSR who have not had their household contribution split across siblings at university (and instead treated as if their parents have children at home and only one HE student to support with their household income).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4018227 contains a number of cases where split contributions have not been applied (only the disregard).

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.